Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Yes, it was beautiful flying around and landing several times on the run and adjacent shed.
I knew it couldn't get at the chooks, so I just enjoyed the show.
Coopers Hawk. They, along with Sharp-shinned hawks, are primarily bird hunters.

If you take the time and make the effort to build proper coops and pens, then like Aart you can enjoy watching the wild animals we share this world with without constantly worrying about your birds, or killing off creatures that are only trying to live in this world.

We've lost free ranging bantams and young birds to Cooper's hawks occasionally. Only once did we have a standard hen severely injured, probably by a hawk. it's been youngsters and bantams, dead.
The rain guage had 3.5" of rain from the last days, definitely plenty! Yesterday the crew came and installed new gutters on the house, in the rain. Amazing! And after 2+" of rain, without gutters, none in the basement. Also amazing, in a good way.
No rain for this coming week, good deal.
Mary

Did you know, or complete surprise?
Does she now sleep in the coop with them?
Complete surprise. Yes she takes them into the coop every evening. Most of the mothers in this breed are quite capable of doing so, even most of the first time mothers do it. It is also in part due to selection for that trait through out the twenty years I've been breeding this breed. None of these are hatchery chickens.

Hello Michigan peeps! Beautiful Fall day in da UP. Lots of colors.

Attachments

• 16326864205691512201900216235367.jpg
    16326864205691512201900216235367.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom