Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Recent news release

While the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) has not reported any new cases of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in domestic poultry flocks since May 11, 2022, this does not mean the virus has left the state. The continued detections of HPAI in Michigan’s wildlife means following strict biosecurity measures is just as important now as it was at the outbreak’s start.

HPAI is a highly contagious virus that can be spread in various ways from flock to flock, including wild birds, through contact with infected poultry, by equipment, and on the clothing and shoes of caretakers.

Since late February 2022, MDARD received approximately 200 calls about possible cases of HPAI, which resulted in 53 investigations. These investigations led to the detection of 13 cases of the disease in domestic birds, 12 involved non-commercial backyard flocks and one case was in a commercial flock. These cases were found in 10 counties across the Upper and Lower Peninsulas.

The frequency of new detections throughout the spring led to MDARD’s decision to stop 2022 poultry and waterfowl exhibitions in Michigan until the state went 30 days without a new detection of HPAI in domestic poultry.

Even though this stop was lifted on June 11, 2022, and the state has gone about two months without a new detection of the disease in domestic birds, HPAI continues to circulate among Michigan’s wildlife. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources regularly updates its website with the new cases found in wild birds and mammals.

My Japanese beetle population is finally down to just a handful a day so I don’t have to worry about them too much now.

Just discovered cabbage worms this week. So still lots of chicken food! I collect ten a day on only a handful of kale plants.

Have any of you ever made your own mealworm farm for your chicks. Saw a YouTube video on it and didn’t seem terribly hard.

Also discovered that sun and water equals algae! So I disinfected the chickens water bowl to get all the algae off. Then I put a tarp up over the water bowl spot and have been adding a capful of apple cider vinegar each time I replace the water and so far so good!

What do you guys find is the best way to water your chickens?

Btw beautiful goats 🥰🥰🥰

We like the big plastic waterers from Premier,
IMG_0253.JPG
not the plastic ones that have to be upside down to fill. In winter, we use the old metal waterers on heat plates.
I also have a smaller rubber dish from the feed store in summer.

...What do you guys find is the best way to water your chickens?...
I really like my 3 quart, stainless steel, vacuum sealed ice bucket, especially how long it takes the water in it to change temperature. You can see half of it in this picture - just inside the screen door meant for a sliding glass door (door wall, if you are from metro detroit, evidently, lol).

Attachments

• 71B08E97-76A4-48AD-8925-FEF09C22EBE8.jpeg
    71B08E97-76A4-48AD-8925-FEF09C22EBE8.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom