Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well I done it again...left the hose run all afternoon. Maybe all of those long, deep dives have taken a toll. :idunno:old At least the ducks enjoyed my absent-mindedness.

Watching my flock's dynamics evolve is constantly entertaining. The BO roo was first first to crow and he is the largest bird in the flock. I'm pretty sure I have a pair of Marans males. One has feathered feet and one doesn't. They crow but not often. The last boy is the EE, He seems to the most likely to be dominant. He always seems to intervene when another rooster is courting. All of the males are dancing for the hens. None of the girls show any interest at all. I haven't seen one squat yet. I can waste a lot of time just watching the flock.

P.S. I'm probably wrong in identifying the breeds but I'm not too worried about it. I'll try to take some photos.

Tonight I went into the coop late to deal with a hen who was having crop issues, shes just about better now but I took a little bowl of water in so she could have a drink before I massaged her crop to loosen it up a bit. Well a handful of other hens got jealous and leaned way out reaching for the water so I went down the line holding a light while they sipped at it. Cool moment. Usually I would never spend time to go give them water when they have it in the run all day but tonight was obviously special. Got a few fun pictures. The hens most eager for it were the Easter eggers and Cubalayas from @troyer (you’ll be happy to know all are well). Silly girls started a little pecking fight over who got a drink first. It’s so cool and interesting to compare these birds to my others, since they tend to nestle under flock mates to hide unlike my others (I’m assuming that’s from being hen raised since they are the only birds in a flock of 39 who have been hatched by a broody, all others are from hatcheries or farm stores) anyways they are just cool birds
Awesome!

Tonight I went into the coop late to deal with a hen who was having crop issues, shes just about better now but I took a little bowl of water in so she could have a drink before I massaged her crop to loosen it up a bit. Well a handful of other hens got jealous and leaned way out reaching for the water so I went down the line holding a light while they sipped at it. Cool moment. Usually I would never spend time to go give them water when they have it in the run all day but tonight was obviously special. Got a few fun pictures. The hens most eager for it were the Easter eggers and Cubalayas from @troyer (you’ll be happy to know all are well). Silly girls started a little pecking fight over who got a drink first. It’s so cool and interesting to compare these birds to my others, since they tend to nestle under flock mates to hide unlike my others (I’m assuming that’s from being hen raised since they are the only birds in a flock of 39 who have been hatched by a broody, all others are from hatcheries or farm stores) anyways they are just cool birds
I do this also periodically when it's super hot and they are panting just before lights out. I like to think it helps.... 👍

The roo on the right has feathers on his feet. Left one doesn't. Orp in the middle is a large bird, a whole lot bigger than any of the hens.
The solo rooster is the one I think will be the big boss. All of the roosters have striking colours. They look fantastic in the sunlight.

1699894673230.png

1699894727379.png

The roo on the right has feathers on his feet. Left one doesn't. Orp in the middle is a large bird, a whole lot bigger than any of the hens.
The solo rooster is the one I think will be the big boss. All of the roosters have striking colours. They look fantastic in the sunlight.

View attachment 3682939
View attachment 3682945
Colorwise I like Solo the best.

View attachment 3682939
View attachment 3682945
Beautiful flock!

Back
Top Bottom