Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Depending on where you live, there is a local auction in Webberville/Williamston area every Saturday. The place is called Gyer's. We take our extra roos that we hatch up there or if they were straight run as most local breeders sell this way.

Ohh that's right near my house. ( less then 4 miles) I didn't realize Gyer's did livestock auctions. I just thought it was for farm equipment etc. Now I know where to take my extra roo's
smile.png
I will probably PM you later on for some more info Sarah. I'm not 100 percent who's a roo on some I just hatched yet. It's still a little too early to tell with some of them.

Thanks for the info!

Bluemoon

Hello everyone I really hope everyone is health and well. I wish I had more time to be chatting with everyone. I know that I dont have enough time to caught up on all the stuff going on wish I did.

School is not for old people make your kids go right after High school enough of that.

Any way Oldest daughter, fiance, and grandbaby moved in couple weeks ago. What a shocker it is true things will come to those who wait. Man what fun to be a thorn. Anyway thier truck broke down on the way from Marquette, MI. Got them home safe and sound, pulled the motor out of their truck, found another truck wow nobody wants to sell anything any way pulling motor out of that one to swap. Yesterday made money plowing and then get a call that someone needed wood to buy. Then I had to get up this morning for school.

Ok the good news since everyone is now tired from the work. Being a grandpa is so fun God creates wonderful things of life. My treat to me is that I get to spoil her rotten with caution though.

The second good news is the Deer and Turkey show is this weekend at the Lansing Civic Center will be their saturday.

Question I have is Chickenstock still going to happen so I have something else to get me through a couple of months?

Quote:
Hey, Oopsy, I have Cayugas and Pekins. My drake is a Cayuga. The female Cayugas haven't started laying yet-I was told that they probably won't until Spring. The Pekins are laying, though. I'm getting about two Pekin eggs/day now. If you like, I can bring you some next week and you can try to hatch them. I'm pretty sure they're fertile. We've been talking about getting a bator so that we can hatch some out as soon as the Cayugas lay.

YakLady: That would be wonderful, best of both meat ducks. Wonder what they'd look like? Pretty neat Id bet. Might come out black and white. Or maybe like light brahma coloring...wouldnt that be pretty?

Daughter is talking about selling a couple of her incubators and getting a much bigger one lol , she's got it bad. Has been hatching all winter now. I will ask her and maybe next week she could bring one along for you to look at?

Tonight I went out like usual and fed and water chickens, I do it at night in case I can't get out there 1st thing in the morning, anyways I looked under my broody and now there are only 4 eggs and egg everywhere. I don't think she ate it cause there really was egg all over her and the nest. They are on about day 8. What could of happened? No stink, so maybe she had an accident and it got broken somehow?

Quote:
I have been incubating all winter. My coops are not heated however I do keep a heat lamp in them. I CANNOT FIGURE OUT THE WHOLE "frozen egg" SITUATION. I had a pekin duck whom decided to make her nest in the corner of the horse stall. By the time I noticed it she had laid about 8 eggs. They were frozen because I only have 1 duck laying so some of the eggs were at least 8 days old. I put them in the bator anyways just to see if they would hatch. I candled them again today and they are all growing strong and looking perfect. It's almost like the cold freezes them in a fresh state and they remain that way until heat is applied. Now, if they are cracked from freezing, they would never make it to full term in the bator.

So far the cold weather has not seemed to hurt my hatching eggs.

I have a question for you all. I was watching Modern Marvels and they were showing a farm that raises Pekin ducks by the 1000's to sell for food. Did you know they dunk every single hatching egg into a bleach water bath before placing it into the incubator? I know everyone says "don't wash your eggs" but per the duck farmer on this show not washing the eggs is much worse. What happens is as the chick/duck gets closer to hatching the shell opens large pores. If the shell has bacteria on it, the bacteria gets into the pore and kills the chick/duck before it can hatch. A light bulb went off in my head! Chick mortality is highest right in the beginning, and right before hatch.

I decided to test this theory. Not with bleach because I do not know how much bleach x water to mix so I used antibacterial dish soap as a substitute. I washed 3 pekin duck eggs in a warm bath of water and antibacterial dish soap today. Before placing them in the bator I wrote "washed" on the shell. If all 3 eggs make it to a successful hatch I will know that removing the bacteria from the shell is a healthy way of hatching eggs.

What do you all think about this theory?

CCF, I think that as long as you haven't submerged the eggs. Cleaning them would lessen the bacteria on the eggs. Everything you read on hatching stresses having a clean incubator and in my thinking placing dirty eggs in it would be counter productive. To me it sounds like a good idea but only time will tell.

Last edited:
I still continue to be amazed at the wealth of information that is instantly at ones fingertips since the advent of the world wide web. That being said , just because it's on the internet doesn't mean that the information is accurate or even true. You must carefully examine and check for verification through a variety of sources before you accept the the validity of that information. While surfing the net I ran across this little known piece of info. While it does seem to be a facetious explanation of a valued kitchen appliance, I think I will avoid using ice cubes until I am able to disprove it.
10233_ice_maker.gif

yuckyuck.gif
OMG Opa...I just spewed my coffee with that one.
lau.gif

Good morning everyone!
frow.gif
Shaping up to be a beautiful day.
clap.gif
I'm online doing some research on Barred Holland chickens. Those birds are SUPER rare...at least the ones that actually lay white eggs. I've heard that the ones from Ideal lay an off-white/tinted egg...definitely not good. I've actually found a place to buy chicks that are hatched from white eggs...so I'm seriously considering getting a few and testing them out. Anyone have any experience/knowledge about them?
caf.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom