Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all, been awhile again. Love the Layena bag. I just saw similar bags at a little "earth friendly" boutique selling for $17!

My young Muscovy "Daisy" started laying. Do I let her keep the eggs? It's getting so cold...

Good Morning!

Yesterday something got 2 of Rachel's chickens, a pullet layer, and one Rachel had hatched from Sam's blue orpington's, Splash. Both were killed in the hedgerow where there are tree's and brush. My thought is a flying predator. Everyone is stuck inside today. They are n't happy, but at least they are safe!

Keep warm everyone!

Sarah

PS- LOVE the shopping bag!!!!

Sarah,

It seems you have predator strikes every few months or more, maybe you should consider a livestock guardian dog? I haven't lost a bird since I got one 18 months ago, even though they are actually in the pasture with my goats, they are protective of anything on our property and still exceptional with our children. I see them being home quite frequently due to so many people having to downsize due to the economy, so it is a good way to pick up one already trained for a great price. Wish I had done that! Just something to consider.

Quote:
Thanks for the update Kristen....you have other white hens, right? if so, what we have done and had great luck with it many times is to put the newbie on a perch after dark and then spray cologne over everyone....there may be a little spat in the morn, but nothing serious.
Can't wait for an update! N

Quote:
Scrummy,
That is so cool!! My hubby just came home with 2 pink bags today too!!! So excited! They would be great for groceries! I also have a blue one, but the pink is really cool!

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having the best November ever and had a fun Halloween. This afternoon as the DH and I were in our upstairs bedroom getting ready to go out we heard an urgent clucking noise coming out from one of our side windows. The chickens never come up to the house, it's too far away for them. So we were shocked when we looked out to see a strange looking bird outside just sitting in the grass as if it were just another chicken. It was mostly gray, about the side of a chicken, had the head of a hawk and a long-ish tail that was striped black and gray, a decent wingspan. From what I observed it looked like my young roo and pullets came all the way up to the house to scare it away and then ran back to the others at the coop. Of course my turkeys just stared at it. Any ideas on what this mystery bird was? Should I be worried? It was just sitting there, it didn't look like it was attacking anyone. I'll go outside and take inventory right now, just to be sure. Thanks

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to do this, do you remember which thread you got this from?? Your bag is ADORABLE! That would make an amazing bag to carry my eggs in when I deliver them to my customers.

Quote:
There you are! Missed your posts, and hope all is well.

Do you think she would even be broody at this time of year? Or fertile? (if its anything like my house, the eggs would definitely be fertile), but I thought when they first started laying, the eggs usually arent fertile anyway.

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to do this, do you remember which thread you got this from?? Your bag is ADORABLE! That would make an amazing bag to carry my eggs in when I deliver them to my customers.

Cricket,
I found the instructions on BYC here is the link! I can't wait to make a few of these!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=100894&p=1

Hope the link works!
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom