Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why this MAY NOT be a good idea? I picked it up from another thread about winterizing your coop.

"Something I really forgot to add to this- its time to collect up every bag of DRY leaves you can get your hands on. Store these bags in a completely dry location.
Dry leaves are arguably superior to all other forms of bedding. Think about the tannins and antioxidants, the fibre, trace minerals locked up in these leaves- and as they relate to the natural environment -the ecology of your localized region- see what a great contribution dry deciduous leaves can make?

Don't forget your Poop Hammocks please- with the addition of this preventative tool - ( and thank you Robert DuGrenier, Cabbage Hill Farm and Michelle for creating the impetus for the contraption; and providing the descriptive name) one can keep adding to the dense layers of leaves blanketing the floor of the winter shelter enclosure while helping prevent the contamination of the birds legs and plumage - preventing against - contact with their feces."

Thanks for the input!

The bags are awesome! One of my 4-H parents was telling us about them at our last 4-H meeting and we decided to make them as a club project. So we will probably make chicken, dog, rabbit and several other species of bags!! It will be fun and the kids can use them as a fair project and to carry their stuff in too!

Does anyone know why this MAY NOT be a good idea? I picked it up from another thread about winterizing your coop.

Are you just wondering about the leaves? I don't see any reason not to use dry, fallen leaves in your bedding. They're wonderful additions to compost so if you're using the DLM they'd be an especially good choice, though I personally wouldn't use them exclusively, I think they'd be best utilized with other materials -- straw, shavings, etc.

I'll reserve what I really think about the hammock and the whole "prevent all contact with their feces" nonsense. Ooops. Looks like I let the cat out of the bag.
roll.png
lol.png
wink.png

Cricket - was it a Cooper's hawk?

coopers_hawk_F5R7994-01.jpg

Yes Olive! I believe it was a Coopers hawk or sharp shin. I didn't get that great of a look at it. I'm positive that that's what it was though. It was just weird to see such a beautiful bird just sitting in the grass right outside of my window. You usually see hawks sitting in the trees or on hwy signs. I thought it was hurt or something but then it just sat up and flew away. I saw my little 20 something month old rooster puffing up and trying to scare it off, he got some scratch for that.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I'm supposed to keep my ducklings room clean? How the heck are they so messy?!? He can drink a gallon of water by himself in one day. Hes about a month old now. My goodness!!

On an even more awesome note: I've decided that I'm going to try my hand at a turducken this Christmas. Has anyone made one of those before?? I have all of the ingredients here so I figure that would be a cheap dish to make this year since money is so tight.

Last edited:
Huston's Happy Hens :

"Something I really forgot to add to this- its time to collect up every bag of DRY leaves you can get your hands on. Store these bags in a completely dry location.
Dry leaves are arguably superior to all other forms of bedding. Think about the tannins and antioxidants, the fibre, trace minerals locked up in these leaves- and as they relate to the natural environment -the ecology of your localized region- see what a great contribution dry deciduous leaves can make?

Don't forget your Poop Hammocks please- with the addition of this preventative tool - ( and thank you Robert DuGrenier, Cabbage Hill Farm and Michelle for creating the impetus for the contraption; and providing the descriptive name) one can keep adding to the dense layers of leaves blanketing the floor of the winter shelter enclosure while helping prevent the contamination of the birds legs and plumage - preventing against - contact with their feces."

Thanks for the input!

Nancy- I have used leaves a few times and I think its the best free bedding you can get.
I did have a few problems-
The first is that if they are not completly dry then you are addding a lot of water into the coop. I though they were dry so they can be miss leading when you feel them. I had to use my red heat lamps to dry it out.
The second is that the leaves made my coop dark where wood shavings kept it light. Might not be a problem since you have more windows then me.
My coworker brought in 2 bags for me today. I want to pick up more. I think I am going to enclose my runs this year and use leaves on the ground as insulation.​

10233_coffee_4.gif
Good morning all. Today is election day and it will be the first time in years that I haven't been at the polling place when the doors open. I used to pride myself on being first in line to vote. Decided that it was just too much effort to get Granny there so we opted for absentee ballots. On one hand I glad we did but for some reason it seems strange. So now all of you young people don't forget to vote today.

Coopers hawks seem to be the prevelant raptor in this area and is what got both of my birds last month. It was a shame to lose birds but the sure are a magnificent creature though.

Good Morning, Opa and everyone!

I will be voting after work today.
Baby, its COLD out there! I am super-wimpy this year, apparently. I am already too cold.
sad.png

Going out to feed and water the birds in the cold is NOT fun- its going to be a long winter for me.

Im taking the kids to buy winter coats this weekend. I want to get one that is long and warm and "grandma- like", to quote my kid.
smile.png
I asked both my girls- do you want a long coat to cover your butt? And they both gave me a weird look and said, "Uhhh noooo"..."thats what grandmas wear". *snort!

Im going to be a warm grandma!

Quote:
Nancy- I have used leaves a few times and I think its the best free bedding you can get.
I did have a few problems-
The first is that if they are not completly dry then you are addding a lot of water into the coop. I though they were dry so they can be miss leading when you feel them. I had to use my red heat lamps to dry it out.
The second is that the leaves made my coop dark where wood shavings kept it light. Might not be a problem since you have more windows then me.
My coworker brought in 2 bags for me today. I want to pick up more. I think I am going to enclose my runs this year and use leaves on the ground as insulation.

Thanks for the input OliveHill and Kristen! How's Henrietta doin?? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom