Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Naw, doesn't bug me at all. I don't discriminate...I eat my pets.
lau.gif
(well...at least the dogs and cats know they're safe!!) I have a friend who's mounting one of my hares and using a 4pt rack to turn her into a Jackalope for me!! I've never tried dressing out a hare before...I would guess there would be quite a bit of meat through the loin and thighs, but not much more then that as they are fine bone and only about 7-9lbs full grown. My english lops dress out very nicely! Super awesome meat. I should have some culls around that time if you're wanting some rabbit meat. I have hare litters on the ground and more on the way so I'll see what I can do about bringing you a pet. (it won't be able to show or breed)

We'll definitely have to keep in touch about this. I'm not set up for another rabbit right now anyway -- both daughters have house bunnies -- but eventually I will have to get me a hare. *where's that evil genius rubbing his hands together smiley when I need it?*
wink.png

NO chicks are hurt when I vent sex. You just have to remember to be firm yet careful. I think they just scream like that bc no one likes someone else in their rear-end area! Imagine if someone flipped you upside down, pinned your legs together so you couldn't run away, spread your cheeks and made you poop a little just to see if you had a ding dong! Lol however it is a necessary evil over on out farm just so we can plan ahead for the little fluffballs.

I second the vent sexing expo at chickenstock. I am definitely not a pro at it so I could learn some new techniques!

I learned from both my dad, who has kept chickens all his life and of course YouTube. Both very wise and credible sources.

I didn't have anybody "in real life" to learn from so I taught myself. Watched a couple videos and just started practicing. Adult geese are the most fun.
roll.png
Make sure your back is well covered, they can bite while you're vent sexing.
lol.png

Quote:
lau.gif

Now that's funny.

ETA: Where is Macomb, Mish? There's a lady in the thumb area that, if I remember correctly, has rather upright runners. Bet you could get just a couple from her and maybe sexed. I'm sure she'd want you to pay for them, but I suspect her prices would be fair.

Last edited:
Thought I had a broody hen... but the other day could not stand it any longer so I moved the bail of hay.. and the darn hen just flew out like she was stuck in there... I felt bad that I didn't disturb her sooner.. but I thought she was sitting on an egg!!..

Well today I went out to feed and water and she was back in the corner behind the hay!! So I moved the hay.. and noticed that her feathers on the one side are missing... I don't know if it is because she was back there or what... she seems like she is pecking at herself so I put her away from the other chickens... was that right to do?
All the other chickens look fine... she is just acting all weird...can't take the chance she might be removing herself from the group... it is like they chase her away...so strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom