Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, HenMamma, Welcome

It's a lot of fun here.

Hey, tororider, Brighton might be too far for me to go in on the DE. Highland is much closer for me. Maybe I'll give them a call.

I've never asked before. I know there are a few of you from around the Davison area. Anyone from Clarkston or near to that?

chickennewbie,

If you go to "search" and type in Diatomaceous Earth or DE there are lots of posts about it. Also, try google. Some people use it for dusting for mites and worming. You can sprinkle it on or add it into food. That's the short of it-more in depth explanation if you look it up.

Chickennewbie,
What Alphagamchick said. There are a bunch of threads, and even a page or two on this site talking about diatomaceous earth. I have only been using it for a short while, but seems to work well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm so new to this stuff I don't know where to start, what I need and what I don't. I knew that dust was needed but nothing more than that. I'll look through this site to get more info on it but thanks again for putting me in the right direction.

Ok, turns out that the farm I have my cow lease through sells fossil shell flour, ie DE. They sell 50# bags for $35. Their farm is in North Branch but she delivers milk and other organic items to Royal Oak, South Lyon, Clarkston, and Ypsi/Ann Arbor. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can get the information out there. I think they also sell LiveEarth and Kelp.

Hello fellow Michiganders,

New to this site, but a long time poultry person.

I'm in Edwardsburg, MI. Cass County. SW corner of the state, 5 miles north of the Indiana stateline. Near S.Bend, and Elkhart, IN.

My wife and I, and our 4 daughters (14, 12, 6, & 3)own a hobby farm. We raise at any time 30-50 chickens, & have a small egg selling business, mostly to relatives and neighbors. The core of my flock are my Delawares, best layers around IMHO. A few birds we keep for showing. All my girls are big into 4H, we do the local county fairs and a few State shows, Hastings etc..

Sprinkle in a few goats, Rabbits and Turkeys, and we generally keep pretty busy.

I look forward to conversing with you all on here.

Paul
Edwardsburg, MI

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I am in West Michigan (Rockford, just north of Grand Rapids.) I have 16 layers, 8 Isa Browns, 7 Ameracaunas, and 1 Rhode Island Red.

I was able to get a 40# Bag of DE at the Pool Supply store for $20. Evidently, they use DE in pool filters!

Does anyone know what to consider normal when you change the brand of feed you give? I changed my brand several days ago, and now I am getting fewer eggs? Coincidence? possible egg-bound birds? I was getting 12-14 eggs a day, and now 8 or less. the only change was the diet. Anything elsed I should be looking for? Thanks!

Kristen'sChickens :

Hi Everyone!

I am in West Michigan (Rockford, just north of Grand Rapids.) I have 16 layers, 8 Isa Browns, 7 Ameracaunas, and 1 Rhode Island Red.

I was able to get a 40# Bag of DE at the Pool Supply store for $20. Evidently, they use DE in pool filters!

Does anyone know what to consider normal when you change the brand of feed you give? I changed my brand several days ago, and now I am getting fewer eggs? Coincidence? possible egg-bound birds? I was getting 12-14 eggs a day, and now 8 or less. the only change was the diet. Anything elsed I should be looking for? Thanks!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's not the same thing!!! Pool DE is not edible!!!​

Hi again!
hmm.png
I just read some DE threads...... Whoa! big mistake.

I only wanted to 'dust' them with it. I didn't even know that people feed it to animals. That was a big surprise!

I found out about DE from a man at the Family Farm and Home store in NE Grand Rapids. They don't sell it, but he told me that the pool store down the street sells it!!!! I bought my chickens there last year and have been asking questions and following their input as long. Sounds like I need to check with you all with ALL questions.

The guy told me to put a box 3-4 inches deep with the dust and let them 'go to it' themselves, as they would to keep cool in the summer.

Come to think of it, I put that box in the coop the same day I changed the feed. Could this be the problem with egg production? Thx Kristen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom