Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all checked out the other Michigan links but this seems to be the most active, am I the only one in the North west of the state?
I'm new to the web and to raising my own chicks, we had chickens a few years back but I wasn't to interested in them, but with prices going up (organic chicken at $8 a lb, organic (real) eggs at $4.) Now was the time. My biggest job is cleaning all the junk (just couldn't throw out all that good stuff out) of the coop.
I know you all downstate have been getting hammered with weather lately and today I don't think we got much over 60 degrees, grey, damp and I'm still firing up the wood stove daily(?) What July going to be like?

Quote:
I live right by Osterhout and Portage Rd, so really at the south end. A few more minutes and I'd be in Vicksburg!

No word back from the city. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow?

Hubby is against the idea. Never stopped me before, though.
wink.png

Quote:
What is the going rate for non-organic eggs..that is fresh farm eggs other than store bought? Here in the Reed city area you can get them for less than $2.00 a dozen....I can't believe with the price of mash you can make any money at that price.

I'm not sure, do you mean just home grown? I think it's the same around here We have a local store that sells organic food and liquor (love that combo) and I try to support our local businesses and farms.
I do know someone locally was told they could'nt sell there eggs (from there home) some zoning thing, really absurd if you ask me.
My dear SO told me we wouldnt make any money but the concept of knowing our chickens are well cared for and what they eat means more to me, plus he refuses to eat store chicken and I do love my chicken pot pie,chicken salad and soup: )

I got some cute little Mille Fluer D'Uccle bantam chicks for sale right now, plus Americauna's, and games too. I also have a few chuckars and turkeys available right now. I am located south of Hillsdale, and you can see more about my birds at www.stevenspoultryfarm.com Thanks!

O.K. greggy I can see where your coming from, I'm not sure about the "organic" booze but I know it's sterile anyway. Checked out your site, suprisingly I was looking into my family history today I may be interested.
Beautiful day up here for the longest day of the year, headed twards winter already! Getting the coop ready for the chicks and testing my temps in the brooder, only a couple days left, SO is really glad we are getting chickens again, of course I'll be the one going to the coop daily when it's 10 degrees and blowing snow : )

Hi all! Western part of the UP here! Don't have my chickens yet - a neighbor is raising my babies for me till September - I have ordered the black sex links. I wanted something that was really hardy and could handle the cold. I really wanted chickens this summer to kind of get used to raising them before winter hits...but no one would part with just 4 of them for me. LOL I found this sight just reading up on coops and nesting boxes - there sure is a lot to learn!
We moved to the UP from the Fowlerville area 20 years ago (doesn't seem that long now...lol)

UP_Chicken_Lover, lucky you, the UP is one of my favorite places once I get across the bridge I'm a happy person.
I agree finding this site really helped me decide to take the leap back into chickens and I'm now impressing SO with all my newbie chicken knowledge. I spent a bit of time in Fowlerville 20+ years ago as I worked with standardbreds for years, I can't imagine what that area looks like now, I think Detroit extends all the way to Fowlerville. Enjoy the UP and your chickens.

hi I just wanted to intruduce myself to all the michiganders out there!
I am a newbie to this, once I saw my childrens class project I knew I just had to get some of those cute little fluff balls, so I went and jumped in with 2 black sex links, 1 isa brown, 3 silkie bantams, 1 RIR, 1 araucana all about 2 months old now and I recently aquired 1 EE rooster (1 year), 1 Isa Brown hen (3 years), and 5 delawares (1 year) and I also has 1 khaki campbell and 2 pekin ducks (2months old) so I have my handful with all of those and not to mention my 4 kids all under 6 (girl -6 , boy -6, girl -3 1/2 and boy 2) 2 dogs (jack russel/beagle mix and old english bulldog) 1 cat, vegtable and flower gardens and I run a scrapbooking business on ebay (HECTIC I KNOW) but I would not have it any other way!!!!
thanks
angela

Quote:
I love scrapbooking, and since I am a stay at home mom, it brings in a little more income to the family... here is one of my recent items I just sold on ebay

scrapbookpages003.jpg

scrapbookpages002.jpg

scrapbookpages006.jpg

scrapbookpages007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom