Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I was talking to the owner of the bulk store earlier this week about just this. She said the last one she could remember was 1986-ish. She said 1992 was a rainy Christmas but it was colder and nastier than this year. Not sure how that jives with other peoples' memories.

I don't remember what Christmas was like in 1986 but I do remember my Grandma died that spring and we were at her house for Christmas in 1985 and it was beautiful outside. Didn't even need coats that Christmas. 1992 I don't remember. The only reason I remember 1985 is because of Grandmas passing in 1986.

Quote:
I was talking to the owner of the bulk store earlier this week about just this. She said the last one she could remember was 1986-ish. She said 1992 was a rainy Christmas but it was colder and nastier than this year. Not sure how that jives with other peoples' memories.

I don't remember what Christmas was like in 1986 but I do remember my Grandma died that spring and we were at her house for Christmas in 1985 and it was beautiful outside. Didn't even need coats that Christmas. 1992 I don't remember. The only reason I remember 1985 is because of Grandmas passing in 1986.

I remember that Christmas/Year....it was so warm out we took family pics outside @ my grandparents farm and we had the doors & windows cracked open in the house because grandpa let the coal furnace get out of control! lol

I remember several winters that it never even snowed......but then again that was when I lived in Georgia
wink.png

M.sue :

Quote:

I remember that Christmas/Year....it was so warm out we took family pics outside @ my grandparents farm and we had the doors & windows cracked open in the house because grandpa let the coal furnace get out of control! lol​

It was probably '85 then. That's why I put -ish because she said she wasn't quite sure but it was right around there.
smile.png

M.sue :

A helicopter did fly over while they were out in the yard & they froze like it was giant raptor.

Lol. Didn't have a helicopter here, just a very big noisy truck! You could hear it all the way down the road and once the chickens heard it they all half ran/flew back to shelter. I couldn't figure out why they were doing it at first until the noise got closer and louder.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Since it was such a nice day out today, I took a few photos around the yard. Here's a few of them.
Pretty Boy Newton and a few of his ladies.
83798_img_5669.jpg

5 of our 6 bantams. Gomer and Mr. Peanut are there along with an unnamed sebright mix roo and 2 sebright pullets.
83798_img_5663.jpg

My loner roo, Frenchie. He's a porcelain d'uccle. I had a pullet to match, but we lost her to a skunk this summer.
83798_img_5683.jpg

And just a few of our barn cats (Fred, George, and Doctor) loafing on the deck watching the photo shoot.
83798_img_5684.jpg

Last edited:
teeville5......beautiful chickens...all of them!! Pretty Boy sure is a gorgeous fella. Fred & George look like twins. I don't know if that happens in a litter or not. Are all 3 of them from the same mother?

Yes. They're all from the same litter. Mama had 6 (5 boys, 1 girl). The other 2 boys are black w/ white and look like Doctor and their sister is tortoise like the mama. I thought I would take some more photos tomorrow so maybe I can get a group shot of them all.

As for Fred & George, I used to call them Twin and Other Twin until DH gave them their names.

Last edited:
SO I'm sure I know the answer to this question but I'm gonna try anyway.

Does anyone near the Lansing area just happen to have a couple of chicks I can buy off of them? I only ask because ChickwannaB sent me some eggs and only one hatched. I hate the poor thing to be alone because my experience has been loners don't live long. Although this one (guessing it's a chante) seems quite feisty so I could be wrong.

Last year I had an old english hen that took to 2 disabled chicks. One I knew wasn't going to live long and Mama cried for several days after she died. Then Mama took to another chick that she has lived with since.

I'm wondering, do you think since Mama is so small it would be ok to (after a few days) put her in the brooder with the chick? The brooder is in the house on the enclosed porch. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Or I'd just gladly buy a couple of chicks if anyone happens to have any. I'm 20 miles south of Lansing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom