Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so I took Leila out of the nest box, no eggs in there. I put her in the nest box in the dog coop closed the door. I went to fin the chick feeder for her and when I came back, she was next to the door, so I opened it up, she came out. Oh well. Went to go look for eggs, to bring in then house and got to witness "live action, Yeyeyeyeyeeyeye" from Vanna and Skeeter. Skeeter was on Asters egg, vanna was on Skeeter. Skeeter was trying to get vanna off of her. I moved vanna, she continued to stand over skeeter, and POP, egg drops. Vanna still just stand there, Skeeter is looking at the egg, up at Vanna, back at the egg, then she wiggled round a bit, and stole Vanna's egg! So there she sat, on hers, Aster's and Vanna's. So' she wasn't getting off. I went back to the house, and Leila is back in the other nest box that other hens love to use because there is only room for one at a time... Watched for skeeter to come out of the coop, and I ran back out, grabbed the 3 eggs that were there, brought them back to the dog coop, put them in the nest, took Leila out of the box and sat her in the coop with the eggs, she kinda looked at them like, "Huh?" so, I moved her on top of them and she settled right on them. Lol. Now as soon as I get Buffy's, skatters, Veena's and Vonna's I will see how many potential fit under her. Lol. They should be done in a few more hours. So, she will have 7 eggs, but no silkie eggs... Unless she lays one.

So, I got a chick waterer in with her and a chick feeder for her... Or should I take her out? Also, should I supplement her heat now or when she hatches if she hatches. Also, should I keep her on layer feed along with some extra protein treats? I know I know... Duh me. But I am a brooder mama newbie....

Baby Blue is doing good now. It is starting to use it's legs now and even has a friend now. My Marans hatched and it looks as if it is a blue also. Would like a cuckoo Marans hatch but will not complain. Just happy to have any hatch. Baby Blue thanks all the well wishers and so does it's mom.
smile.png

I'm not sure how many pages I just read! Been out of commission for three days so it took a while to catch up. My son did my chicken chores for me the past two days, I thought he was doing good until last night he confessed to me that he hit a chicken with a snow ball. I love the fact he still tells on himself! It didn't sound like a purposeful thing but we had a talk about size of snowballs compared to size of chicken's head.

Loving all the chick, broody and incubation stories! I've never had a broody and am actually looking forward to the day. I'm glad Baby Blue is doing better, we had a Baby Blue also but she did not survive.

1mutts - I too remember 01, however because the lakes didn't freeze we had incredible lake effect for about two weeks down here. The most I had ever seen in one night at 34 inches. As crazy as it sounds it was a fun winter!

We have way too many eggs here right now! Not everyone one is laying but my normal eggs sales are way down, so we have an extra 8 dozen in the fridge right now. We have yet another party tomorrow so I think deviled eggs are going on the menu.

wow, my seed order from Gurneys arrived today. I'm sharing some of the seeds with a cousin over in Midland. He has just tiny areas he can plant in around a trailer and you know how it is with squash, it goes all over the place. I don't have room for it all so I share.
Plus he can take some to the Chippewa Nature Center and plant some over there.

Quote:
Mom - if this helps you - my one and a half pound bantam was given 0.7ml of amoxicillan twice a day. My finch was given about 2 drops of amoxicillan twice a day for pneumonia for 7 days also.
The vet said to try to space the doses close to 12 hours apart and then in the middle of the day, give some Benebac which is probiotic for birds. Hope that helps you!

Last edited:
Quote:
I grew some acorns up a fence last year. Their idea, not mine. I just tied a few spots to reinforce where the acorns were, just in case. Some kind of green fordhook variety. He could use a flower trellis, and throw some of the vining flowers in for picky neighbors; better yet throw in some pickles and then he'll have big "exotic" orange flowers mixed with little yellow ones!
big_smile.png
We even had a pumpkin vine go up a little pine tree; giant pumpkin hung there until i felt sorry for the tree cause it was bending.
big_smile.png
so the stems are stronger than one might suppose. There are books about decorative mixing of veggies and regular flowers/plants in landscaping, for the urban gardener. I think you can google it under "edible landscaping"? A chicken wire arbor would allow for longer growth, but i don't know if they would allow that in a trailerpark.

Thanks Chicken Grandma! She is closest to finch weight so I will try it and see what happens!

As an aside- this chick, if she makes it to full adult-hood, will never fear red-tail hawks..

My african grey, Dino, with his red tail- is caged right next to her...and he climbs down until he is eye-level with the chick and says, "Ohhh keekee mowmow...come on, come on"...and then makes little birdie kissie sounds..

lau.gif

he is talking to it like its a baby kitty.. love it!

Last edited:
Should have been more clear about the ice, I was talking about the ferries to mackinac island. The big freighters run year round every year, thanks to the Coast Guard.

Opa we went ice fishing today, only caught one tiny perch but we didn't get skunked anyway
big_smile.png

Quote:
If you would keep all the snow, ice, and cold on your side of the bridge I'm sure a great many would be beholding to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom