Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
How ya hanging in there Daron? Keeping cool enough? Do you have a bed bath and beyond nearby? They have these towel like things that you run under cold cold water and they then stay cold for 3 hours. I think you should consider getting one or two for when you need to beat the heat. I will get a pic of it, the packaging I mean, and post it later. Think it'd be good for Fuzzy too.

Thanks Nova, I just got back in from outside watering all the animals, and I am drenched in sweat with a headache growing. I have to leave for work in an hour and a half. Its warmer in the milk parlor for the body heat from the cows makes it about 10 degrees warmer. I will be stuck in there for close to 3 hours. I am going to melt. :th

I like that site. All American. :)

Okay, that was risky. As soon as the eggs were within reach, baby was trying to snatch them. So.. it's not exactl in focus, but I was trying to hurry, you get the idea, lol. Her egg is in the middle. One of what I considered to be our "small" eggs before we started getting these is at the top, there, the lightest one. It's still a good bit bigger than the eggs we're getting from the EE.

And while we're at it, it's hard to tell in this picture I guess, but the egg that is bottom left of the tiny one? It has this ring around the middle. One of the chickens always lays an egg like this, I think it is our "fluffiest" isa brown. Isn't that weird?

Last edited:
Do you have a kitchen scale?

Size

Mass per egg

Cooking Yield (Volume)
[1]
Jumbo

Greater than 2.5 oz. or 71 g

Very Large or Extra-Large (XL)

Greater than 2.25 oz. or 64 g

mL (4 tbsp)
Large (L)

Greater than 2 oz. or 57 g

46 mL (3.25 tbsp)

Medium (M)

Greater than 1.75 oz. or 50 g

43 mL (3 tbsp)

Small (S)

Greater than 1.5 oz. or 43 g

Peewee

Greater than 1.25 oz. or 35 g

One of my ISA Browns is in the nest box. I think she is getting ready for her first egg. I had to throw the Uggo off to let the other hens have a chance. As soon as I lifted the Uggo off, the ISA jumped in. A good sign, I think.

I know a few of you here have peafowl. Just can't remember who you are?

Got a question though.

Will be getting three fully grown peafowl, 1 cock & 2 hens. How in the world am I going to transport the cock? The trip would only be about ten miles or so. Have any of you done this before, or does anyone have any ideas on how to do this.

Best I can come up with is 1) cover the head and towel over the body, holding the bird next to me (or someone else) in the back seat with part of the seat down, with the birds tail laying into the back OR 2) I have a Jeep that I could somehow screen off the back portion, put the back seat down and just let the bird ride in the back.

Looking for the safest (both bird and driver) and least stressful means to do this.
My cocks tail is about 6 foot long and to transport him , which I will be doing in the next week, we build a small pen around the bird using plywood for the bottom and chicken wire around the bird to hold him still with his tail hanging freely out the back. No injury to bird or tail.

I wish I had a kitchen scale, does that count? >.> I really need one for soap.

I wish I had a kitchen scale, does that count? >.> I really need one for soap.
I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight. It works pretty well.

I just weighed the first ISA Brown egg, it was 41 grams of speckled goodness. It is quite a pretty egg. She was in the nest box for about 20 minutes. Not bad for a 20/21 week old hen.
thumbsup.gif

MY DUCKS JUST LAID AN EGG.

I didn't realize it at first. Had sort of an "UHG! Why did one of those twit chickens lay an egg in the dirt?" Since I knew it was fresh (wasn't there a few hours before) I brought it inside to wash it off. As I was cleaning it, the shell texture seemed...weird. And it was bigger than my australorps egg, plus it was white.... so YAY duck egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom