Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have a plastic dog house (looks like a barn) you can have. It should fit your dog. It's a bit chewed up on the edge from my dogs chewing on them. I think they were used for one summer while we stayed at my parents to build our home. I use one for my goose house, but the other is just sitting in the woods at my parents home.

Problem would be getting it to you. How far are you from Ann Arbor?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a plastic dog house (looks like a barn) you can have. It should fit your dog. It's a bit chewed up on the edge from my dogs chewing on them. I think they were used for one summer while we stayed at my parents to build our home. I use one for my goose house, but the other is just sitting in the woods at my parents home.

Problem would be getting it to you. How far are you from Ann Arbor?

About 3 hours. My mother lives in Saline and I may go down and visit her during spring break (which of course is AFTER parent-teacher conferences). I'll let you know when the date gets closer. Thanks

Well, the 1/2 of snow that we were to get turned into at least 2 in. "they" said the weather syestem would end by 12 noon. Well, when I went to bed at 11pm, it was still snowing and blowing. I want their job... it's seems just to be a guessing game. And they don't get fired for being wrong 99.9% of the time.
idunno.gif

I had to take a sledge hammer to break up the ice in front of my run door so I could get fresh water to the bunnies. Don't think I need the Wii today. Got the run shoveled, DH actually did it! Think it's the first time in the past couple of years. He has the hard job of pushing the snow blower up and down the driveway.
th.gif
Coops cleaned. Chickens given scratch and now I'm in my warm house. At least it's sunny now. Glimmer of hope of things to come, sooner than later, I hope. Please, Spring, hurry up and get here!!
fl.gif

What a great weekend!!

Picked up a rabbit from Vicki yesterday and 3 ducks from Kim (ironically the names of my sisters) today and 6 chicks after we met with Kim.

The rabbit is doing great with his new buddy. I walked into the barn and they were "talking" to each other through the fence. Each hutch they can see each other while standing on top of the little hide out boxes. I opened the door and my new best bud came right to me. He really reminds me of Gizmo (the one who died a couple of months ago) with the same loving, cuddly personality so he's totally stolen my heart right away!

When we got the ducks home, Aric put the cage inside the duck run and they came right out and RAN to the pond! It's still pretty frozen over but there's a small puddle in the middle. They were loving that! Everyone else went running into the coop! The male was in heaven though. He discovered there were more females around and stood right by the door, bouncing his head and shaking his tail. About 10 mins later when they were at the trough eating, everyone else slowly came out and just stood completely still watching!

I am SO excited. Thank you both of you! Now all I need are a couple of female calls and life is perfect!!
celebrate.gif

Keyt-
I forgot to tell you that they like roosting up on things- straw bales here. They spend the nights up on those and on tree stumps and straw bales for their daily naps.

Did Jax recognize Quackers?

Riverdale -- I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'll be there with my rugrats too. Except I suspect I'll be the one "in tow".
lol.png

Quote:
Well, they all avoided the newbies all night. The 3 would walk up to everyone if they walked out of the coop, but everyone would go back in. Took me a while to get them to go in the coop at night time. The male (I don't remember the names you gave them) went in first and he was ok but I had to chase the girls around for a bit. Bad idea when it's icy and they kept running around the pond. I discovered then I'm not as recovered as I thought I was lol

They'll all get to know each other overnight I'm sure. There's plenty of room for all of them in there (even the noisy, fat ass roo), but we have drawn up plans to move the coop and put an extension on it. I don't sleep much so I'll go out there every once in a while to listen in. I'm sure everyone will be fine. Never once had a fight before so I trust that will continue to hold true!

I have some straw bales. I planned on getting more anyway. The poor mice will have to lose their home though and that would make my daughter very happy lol

Late on getting this posted, but when I locked up the coop for the night I noticed my other black silkie is missing a large patch of feathers on her belly. So the count now it one bald silkie and one without belly feathers.
hmm.png
It was mentioned that changes in weather can cause feather picking among the chickens and it has been bouncing between warming up and cooling down so that could be it, but so far only the black silkies have been plucked.
The bald silkie hasn't shown any signs of growing feathers back and it's been quite a few weeks since that happened, so I am wondering how long it takes for them to come back. Both still lay regularly, one has taken to laying under the hanging feeder for some reason
roll.png

If more feathers go missing on them, would it be a good idea to bring them inside for a bit?

ETA: Both have plucked looking bellies, one is just more bare than the other. They are both very skittish and dislike having their heads touched. I checked the other chickens and there doesn't seem to be any feather loss on them, so it's just the two black silkies. Could this be from sitting on an egg or getting ready to lay? The bald one is also missing some neck feathers as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom