Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That is something only a chicken farmer would understand! Personally, mine like to poop in the garage, just for my husband. He doesn't see the humor in it though!

I have an egg related question for you all: I have a year old Wyandotte that a friend gave me after loosing all her other chickens to what she thought was a weasel. It hadn't layed in months before coming here, I assume out of stress (it was alone for months). It is now laying, but every third egg or so is soft shelled. So gross, and it makes such a mess in the nest box! She is getting layer feed, and has free choice oyster shell. She free ranges in our bug infested meadow all day long. So, what gives? Any thoughts? She's been laying for us now for about a month, maybe less. Flighty, high stress type bird. Everything I read simply says to feed layer feed and egg shell or oyster. Not sure what else to do. I'm considering freezer camp and I regret taking her in... but my 4 year old has named her Buttercup and looks for her every day.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
It was great to meet you and your kids too! That's great that one of your hens love the little guy already. Good luck with the hatch!

Welcome to the newcomers!

I had a hen who was partial to cuttlebone (the kind you get in petstores for canaries). It fixed the soft shells we had. it's a bit more but we had a small flock, so it worked for us.

Quote:
I would be interested in any input on this too. We have a GLW that has been doing the same thing, laying soft shelled eggs and an occasional harder egg. But she sleeps in the nest box, acts like she is thinking about being broody but then leaves the nest. I pull her out of the box every evening because I don't want her pooping in there. I have also caught her eating her soft eggs. I am seriously considering sending her to camp too.

Quote:
Congratulations Keyt! I'm so happy for you! I pray you and your brother develop a wonderful relationship.

Opa - I have been watching my chickens pretty closely ever since you told me what the signs of mite infestation are. I have not seen any of them diplay any signs that would tell me they have mites. No constant preening around the vent or anywhere else for that matter. Oh, and I forgot to say that when I dosed them all with Ivomec I checked the vents and didn't find any mites there either. Obviously, they do have mites as I have seen them in the coop, but I'm thinking I might have caught this in the early stages as I can't find signs of any on the birds themselves. So, if the birds I gave you are displaying signs, you may have incredibly gotten the only two who were infested! I will be cleaning the coop, dusting and puting in fresh pine shavings on Saturday.

Quote:
I would be interested in any input on this too. We have a GLW that has been doing the same thing, laying soft shelled eggs and an occasional harder egg. But she sleeps in the nest box, acts like she is thinking about being broody but then leaves the nest. I pull her out of the box every evening because I don't want her pooping in there. I have also caught her eating her soft eggs. I am seriously considering sending her to camp too.

From what I understand, the soft shelled eggs are hard to pass. Perhaps she's trying to lay. Ours lays her soft shelled eggs in the evening, and yes, everyone eats them right up, rubbery shell and all! It's a really gross sight! I would expect this from a young pullet, as well as when we integrate a flock that has different types of feed. The older girls will often eat the grower and their eggs get all messed up... but I don't have any of those things going on now. So, what gives?

I had to post a pic of my Barred rock cockeral. He feels almost as heavy as my adult Delaware but is only 15 weeks old, he doesn't even have his tail feathers yet!

27698_100_5235.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom