Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is everyone doing with county fairs this year? DD and I entered our eggs in the fair, but won't know until today if they won anything. We also entered peppers, coneflowers and some other stuff.

Quote:
If your flock appears healthy I would suspect what you are seeing is cecal droppings and opposed to fecal droppings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10233_cecal_droppings.jpg It's normal and nothing to worry about.

yes it looks almost exactly like that, only a more cholate brown color...

Keyt, I love Holland. I used to live on 16th too. 16th and washington. My whole family has lived here forever! My grandparent had a huge historical house on 12th and washinton. But now I am on the N. Side where I can have a small flock and not get into trouble. The largest livestock I can have where I am at is a sheep or goat. No pigs... But from what I understand, my chickens can pretend to be pigs... HAHA

Last edited:
3 days in a row we got a egg a day, and yesterday <drum roll> we got 2 eggs in one day! So I must be doing this chicken thing right,
lol.png

We have decided to do 4-H poultry, we've done goats and I show dogs in AKC, we just did Photography this year with 4 -h, and next year I think I will enter more vegetables, I am growing Hubbard Squash that atm are as large as a beach ball, I am going to be on the look out for 2 or 3 bantam hens for my daughter to use as 4 -H projects, not a clue what breed yet. Trying to talk my DH into doing a pig next year to. We throw enough pig roasts here, and next year we are throwing one for our middle child for graduation. Anyone wants to recommend a hardy bantam breed for a 11 year old,? your input would be appreciated.

Quote:
Bantam cochins are fabulous!

If you grow a pig please consider raising two, rather than one. They are very social animals and thrive best when with at least one other member of their own species.

Quote:
We have had many bantams over the last 10 years. The Sebrights are very beautiful and I've seen a lot of them at the fairs but they are a high high energy bird and I find them hard to handle. I think they would be hard for an 11 year old to hold and carry. We had one and rehomed her to live with a Sebright rooster which seemed to make her happy. She and the rooster are very high energy together and the people who own them cannot even catch them.

Our Belgium D'Uccle is heavenly. She is honestly the best hen we have ever had. She obeys me if I tell her to stay off the porch. She gets along with other hens and is happy to be carried and held. She laid a lot of eggs her first 2 years and now as a 2 year old, she is broody on and off. I can't think of anything negative to say about her and I would love to have another d'uccle or two.

Jaime's cochin bantam 'Blueberry' looks just adorable and like a really great bird for a child to handle. We had a cochin bantam and she was wonderful. And we had a Silkie mix who was just wonderful also.

I hope that helps you!

Quote:
For something unique I would take a look at Vorwerks.
10233_new_chicks_027.jpg
The chicks hatch with yellow heads and brown bodies and then completely changes as adults.
10233_vorwerk1.jpg

They lay well and are a calm friendly bird if handled.

Ok you guys, while you are on the subject of poo I have a question that may seem to be real silly. Do chickens pee, go ahead and laugh!! The reason I'm asking is because I've noticed a few wets spots in the shavings under their roost in the coop that look likes water. My coop is brand new, custom built by my DH and does not leak. I have not closely inspected it but intend to. I'm realitivity new to raising chickens although I was raised being around chickens my whole childhood. So if someone could answer my silly question after they are done laughing I'd appreciate it.

Thank you guys
smile.png
My daughter is very excited, I will do some reading up on your suggestions, I'd like a relaxed bird thats relatively cold hardy for a bantam anyways, the Vorwerks are very intriguing , I have not seen any of those at our local fairs, and Cochins are tempting for all the feathers. And the Belgium D'Uccle , are just beautiful bantams to,
I've had my 11 year old help with many a dog show, shes really good at it and puts soo much pressure on herself to present her animal the best condition it can be, when she loses shes very philosophical about it.
We have a saying character is NOT built in winning. I'll talk to our poultry 4-h leader and bounce these breeds off them .
smile.png

Quote:
what kind of roosters are they? and are they mean or just to each other? we r looking for a nice big roo for our girls hopefully about a year old or so but i guess it doesnt really matter. we just need one all of our girls r confused about what gender they should act ( they r all actualy girls we have had them for over a year now, all layers no boys)we need one to play the rooster roll and protect our girls but not beat them up because we r dealing with a bit of a feather picking problem right now (getting better!)

I have a gorgeous Black Sex Link!! I posted pics a few pages back. He's a good boy and I'd love to keep him but I just can't. I also have a RIR. Want some ducks too?? LOL

This is the BSL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Keyt427/Picture055-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Keyt427/Picture061-1.jpg

I don't have recent pics of the RIR

wow he is beautiful!ill have to show those pics to my family my mom loves black and white speckled chickens like that (thats why she likes BRs) i dont think my dad would want ducks although i think it would be fun! not sure about the RIR our girls are at least half RIR and i think we dont want anymore but the BSL looks awesome! is he nice and also how old is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom