Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
One of my barred rocks from Townline went broody last September. She hatched a single EE/BR cross. I'll post pics one of these days. Treasure your broody. Let her be a mommy.
smile.png

Ok. I have a question. Hope someone on here can answer me. Why is Baby Blue crawling instead of walking? That particular egg wasn't really due to hatch until tomorrow but chose to do it yesterday. It is just fine in every other way. Looks good. Peeps. It just crawls instead of walks. Will it be ok?

Last edited:
Bhammer: I have never had fresh hatched chicks so I am not sure I can help with that one. Time will tell though. Maybe because it is alone...dunno.

Good morning to the rest of you brave hatchers. Best wishes. The culling part is certainly no fun but must be done. Hugs.

All is peaceful in the chicken run this morning. Already had an egg this morning. Their regular routine has certainly been messed up with the weather and daylight changes. I never know when there will be eggs so I just trot out there more often now. My idiot EE roo acts like he wants me to pet him. I am not sure what that is all about. Usually he bolts away from me like I am a predator. Ducks have been getting a few romaine lettuce leaves each day, so I have been popular with them. I keep trying to integrate chickens and ducks but the Ducks attack the Nankin banties with abandoned. The Nankins squawk in terror and try to hide. They are our show birds ( & pampered pets) so I can't let the duck bullies rip out a feather or damage a crown. Maybe if I get the bachelor duck pad some feminine distraction...? Nothin' like the love of a good woman to settle a man down.

Quote:
It's going to be really hard to give you a definitive answer over the internet. So many things can go wrong with baby chick legs. Sorry, I didn't see the pictures. Do you still have him/her in the bator? If not what kind of surface is he on? Are they splayed? Or is he just scooting along on bent legs? If they're splayed the treatment is pretty straightforward and lots of people have success with it. If he's just plain not standing that may be a whole different story. It's not normal so some investigation is certainly in order. It's just hard to say without seeing him. Normal baby chicks will be able to stand from just shortly after hatching. At first they do it in spurts of energy that kind of has them bouncing around the incubator like uncoordinated, unbalanced ping pong chicks, but by their first 24 hour mark or so they should be standing pretty well and walking even if a little wobbly. HTH!

ETA: Hatching a day early isn't a problem and is unlikely to have contributed to this. The ones who hatch early actually tend to be the biggest, hardiest and most vigorous of the group IME.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's going to be really hard to give you a definitive answer over the internet. So many things can go wrong with baby chick legs. Sorry, I didn't see the pictures. Do you still have him/her in the bator? If not what kind of surface is he on? Are they splayed? Or is he just scooting along on bent legs? If they're splayed the treatment is pretty straightforward and lots of people have success with it. If he's just plain not standing that may be a whole different story. It's not normal so some investigation is certainly in order. It's just hard to say without seeing him. Normal baby chicks will be able to stand from just shortly after hatching. At first they do it in spurts of energy that kind of has them bouncing around the incubator like uncoordinated, unbalanced ping pong chicks, but by their first 24 hour mark or so they should be standing pretty well and walking even if a little wobbly. HTH!

Thanks Olive. No, legs are not splayed and it seems real healthy. It just scoots. I thought maybe because it was so early that may play a part in it but I don't know. I know I have had lambs born early and sometimes it takes them a day or two to get up. But I don't know about chickens. It is still in the bator. I have paper towel on half of it and the other half is screen.
AND- I have a Marans hatching out woooo hoooo. So exciting.

Quote:

Thanks Olive. No, legs are not splayed and it seems real healthy. It just scoots. I thought maybe because it was so early that may play a part in it but I don't know. I know I have had lambs born early and sometimes it takes them a day or two to get up. But I don't know about chickens. It is still in the bator. I have paper towel on half of it and the other half is screen.
AND- I have a Marans hatching out woooo hoooo. So exciting.

'grats on the Maran! What kind is baby blue?

I forgot to say about the early hatching in the last post and was editing when you were posting so I'll put it here, too just in case, but it's unlikely to be a contributing factor. The early hatchers actually tend to be the biggest and most vigorous, IME. Usually 75% of my hatches are out before their due date. I've actually had the highest rates of loss on batches that have hatched on or after their due date rather than before.

What a lovely morning!

Keyt - I am so sorry to hear about your chick
sad.png

RBahmer - I hope "baby blue" is doing ok and congrats on your eggs beginning to hatch! Woot! keep the pictures coming.

Nice fish, Sam! Was a beautiful day for fishing!
Hope Baby Blue will be ok. It's so adorable!
Sorry bout your chick, Keyt.

Good Morning! It's sunny and a bit breezy. Not as warm as yesterday, but will take this warmer weather.
I still have two broodies. No fertile eggs to give them, tho. Saw one of my chickenstock splashes checking out a nesting box, so maybe she thinking its time to start laying. Hope so. Have two early layers that are dropping their eggs during the night. Finding them broken under the roost. With so few hens laying, I really need those eggs.
he.gif
Hubby tried to turn the light on early this morning, but it was too late.
Enjoy your day........
frow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom