Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nova, Mr. F is really hanging on, isn't he? He must like it there.

I woke up this morning to the strangest noise. I looked out my window, and saw Penny standing in the coop, illuminated by the morning sun with feathers fluffed, and beak in the air. Ah, our sweet 14 week old Buff Orpington is indeed a rooster (eh, cockerel? What age do they reach roo status?).

I would love to find a home for him where he can enjoy a long life in a happy flock. Understanding that not everyone keeps their chickens for the same reasons, I'd also be glad to find him a home where he was well cared for until it was time for him to be dinner. Anyone interested in a free bird? I will bring him to anyone w/in an hours drive of Grand Rapids.

celebrate.gif
I am SO excited!!! Last night we went to get some hens with RustyByrd and it took longer than I had planned. That's ok we had a nice time visiting with her and her DH. Anyway, when we got home I forgot the geese were in the duck run and they were standing outside the coop confused. My DD said she didn't know if they were supposed to go in there or not. So I opened the door and they walked right in like it was normal! We had the windows opened so I figured if there was a problem I'd hear it. A few times I even walked out there to listen and didn't hear a thing! This morning when BF let everyone out everything was just fine! Now the ducks and geese are out there laying next to each other basking in the sun!!
ya.gif

So last night we picked up 3 BO's and 2 JGxBR. Those JG look like super blown up BR they are so cool! I wish we would have had room for more.

I need to put an ad on craigslist for some muskoveys. I wish we could make it to Theron's I really like his birds!

My old cat pees almost daily on our carpet. It's behavioral, not age-related. We've sprayed it with Nature's Miracle deterrent, cleaned it, covered it with pee pads, etc. but nothing keeps him from doing it except to remove the carpet (which we will do soon - new house). He did it at our old house too. Maddening.

On a lighter note, we just got back from a week-long trip to the Northern regions. I probably saw half of your homes in passing. Every time I saw a chicken coop or a sign for eggs I wondered who it was and waved. We were in Gaylord, Grayling, St. Ignace, Manistique, Marquette, Ishpeming, Houghton, Calumet and everywhere in-between. Good times.
That cat would become an outside cat real fast!!
Glad the interview went well. Good luck on getting the job!!
Loved the pics!
Keyt, glad all are getting along so well!

Last edited:
Tap, who is whom? I love the one with the white.
Ebony is the all black girl, Pippin with the most white headed. We did have a Merry but some one at Chickenstock bought him.
In my picture posting last night I missed one of my favorites.

Pippin, Frodo and Ebony, However Pippin ends up called Pip Squeak a lot.

I PASSED!

Well, my interview with the TSA. Very cool feeling, actually, a lot of relief when the interviewers came out after their deliberation to tell me I was good. I do need to improve my interview skills, so a case of nerves doesn't affect me so much. Onward I continue, through the next steps to get hired! It is such a long process, but it'll be worth it in the end if I get a job as a TSO.

And in chicken news, here on the farm, I have four broodies. Two are in the broody buster. One who just came of age to laying eggs, layed a few weeks, then went broody. And another who isn't a stellar mother hen. The other two, I'll give some fertile eggs and let them do their thing.
Congrats! I am finally down to one broody and I have given up on her. She was in the box for more than a week but has been at it for more than a month now. I had a cornish the same but finally this week she gave it up on her own, after I had given up trying to break her.

Has anyone had birds starting to molt yet? I have a year old rooster who is and a couple hens I'm not sure about. It seems early.

Loved the pics!
Me too! They are doing awesome! They were even in the pool together a little while ago!

I just hope
fl.gif
it stays that way and this isn't just a honeymoon phase! =)

Loved the pics!
I would put him down but the kids adore him and he was the first cat I ever owned too so it's a tough call. I'd throw him outside but he's a long-hair AND front de-clawed. Not my choice though; my parents had him neutered and de-clawed while he was staying with them (I was in college at the time). He wouldn't last a minute around the barn cats and that's if the thistles and burrs didn't mat him to death first. He's about 17 years old now and I just keep hoping he kicks the bucket on his own but he just keeps going and going...

I might start putting the old coot in a cat carrier at night. That's when he pees, when we're not looking. I've actually never caught him in the act, sneaky son of a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom