Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with CX so in the beginning it wasn't hard to send them to the butcher because they become so nasty looking as they get older, at least mine did, no feathers underneath, and icky butts When I got my first 6 straight run barred rocks, one died almost immediately and of the other 5 they turned out to be one pullet so I had 3 roos to get rid of. That time my FIL still had birds and took one, the others had to go. But DH dealt with it so I didn't really have to think about it. The next year I ordered my first 25 hatchery chicks also straight run, lots of cockerels. They all went to the butcher, I only kept the hens to go with Mr and Mrs Chicken. (Those first 2 BRs were the only chickens I've EVER named, if you consider that a name). within a couple of years Mrs Chicken went to the butcher as she stopped laying, as did a bunch of the newer hens because I just had too many. Even Mr Chicken went because he decided he wanted to beat up on the Buckeye roo I really liked (he went to a fox last year!!!
somad.gif
along with a few of my hens.)

Late last summer I got rid of all the chickens because I got so frustrated with them not laying. They just up and stopped. Couldn't figure out why. So off they went. I must say it was such an easy winter having to take care of only 5 guineas and 2 ducks! And SO much cheaper feed-wise!

I guess my point is don't name your birds, certainly not the ones you're going to eat, don't treat them like pets bringing them goodies, etc. I don't know if it helped me that I have hunted in the past, deer and squirrel and have gutted them myself. I do like knowing how to feed myself if I had to. I have yet to kill my own chicken, the Amish have a nice little business doing that here so I don't have to, but I figure I could if I needed to, especially if it isn't named. However, my DH, fortunately has no problem butchering them himself he he needs to, then he gives them to me for cleaning.
It has taken me two years, but I am taking in my first 3 roosters to be butchered on Wednesday! I however know I can't do the butchering and DH says they are mine so it's up to me.

I've only been part of this the Michigan group for a year. I have always appreciated the honesty and different opinions. I've seen some people get blasted but usually on subjects that have been gone over repeatedly and they are new and have no clue, I was there myself before. That said some people need a reality check and to realize raising chickens or animals in general isn't just fuzzy sweet. A harsh answer is nothing compared to being prepared to bury feet and wings, clean up the carnage after a neighbors dog, care for sick animals who came from a breeder and worse things like thinking of what Chicken Grandma and Farmerboy had to do. I guess for me I'd rather deal with a harsh answer than blunder ignorantly into doing something to hurt my flock. Chickens aren't for the faint of heart.

In my own personal opinion if you are buying the eggs I would do a test hatch first. I didn't the first time and I bought eggs and out of 15 I only had one hatch. I would do a test hatch and make sure everything is set properly first. But, that's just my opinion.
That's what I was leaning toward.....but I just keep looking through the B/S/T board and for another $8, I can 2 or 3x as many eggs. Darn shipping!
th.gif

So....ummm.....anyone have some EE/Ameraucana eggs, olive eggs, or black/blue/splash marans eggs? Say......8? Is there even anyone within 2 hours of me (Traverse City-ish)???
lol.png

That's what I was leaning toward.....but I just keep looking through the B/S/T board and for another $8, I can 2 or 3x as many eggs. Darn shipping!
th.gif

So....ummm.....anyone have some EE/Ameraucana eggs, olive eggs, or black/blue/splash marans eggs? Say......8? Is there even anyone within 2 hours of me (Traverse City-ish)???
lol.png
I have Marans eggs I will give you but I am waaay far from Traverse City. But, you are welcome to them.

I guess my point is don't name your birds, certainly not the ones you're going to eat, don't treat them like pets bringing them goodies, etc. I don't know if it helped me that I have hunted in the past, deer and squirrel and have gutted them myself. I do like knowing how to feed myself if I had to. I have yet to kill my own chicken, the Amish have a nice little business doing that here so I don't have to, but I figure I could if I needed to, especially if it isn't named. However, my DH, fortunately has no problem butchering them himself he he needs to, then he gives them to me for cleaning.
We got turkeys for the first time this year and that was Aric's insistence, DON'T name any of them. I was allowed to name 3 BR because I was keeping them. Sadly one of them was culled last week and it's still bothering me because she was so very sweet. The rest just go by "get out of my way", "back up" and "PIA"!

I have found a fabulous way to find any area in a pen that is not secure. Put two rabbits in it.
If you find the rabbit out in the yard, your pen is not secure.
Put rabbit back in penned area, and wait. Rabbit will then sit around innocently while you watch, so you must HIDE and watch to see where Rabbit is getting out.
Then retrieve rabbit, and fix spot in fence. Repeat as necessary.

Thank you for the comments. From now on I will only be getting pullets instead of straight run. I don't want to rehome him... I just have sooooo many roos and not enough ladies for all of them.

BYFM-
You should only ask if you want to know. If they say they are going to eat him? Make sure you are okay with the answer. If they plan on fighting him, certainly back out of the deal. Its your right.
I am... I don't want him to be used in fighting dog or chicken
thank you. My brother didnt pass away, he just one day declared we were monsters and fell off the planet. He isnt missing, he has a wife and kids, but we havent heard a word in almost two years.
That is as traumatic as death IMO...
Well, I'm not sure about my little splash marans chick. It has stopped sneezing, but seems......off.
Do you think it could be sour crop?
I have found a fabulous way to find any area in a pen that is not secure. Put two rabbits in it.
If you find the rabbit out in the yard, your pen is not secure.
Put rabbit back in penned area, and wait. Rabbit will then sit around innocently while you watch, so you must HIDE and watch to see where Rabbit is getting out.
Then retrieve rabbit, and fix spot in fence. Repeat as necessary.
Been there, done that!
WARNING FOR HORSE OWNERS/LOVERS!!!

http://jxn.craigslist.org/grd/3185247444.html

Read the article attached. Pretty scary. The girl can't even write her own ad correctly.
That is so sad! SHAME on that horrible person. Makes me sad to be human!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom