Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING FOR HORSE OWNERS/LOVERS!!!

http://jxn.craigslist.org/grd/3185247444.html

Read the article attached. Pretty scary. The girl can't even write her own ad correctly.
Yup....this girl lives down the road from me. Her and her whole family are druggies, her dad being the biggest, and I have never spoken to anyone out here who even likes that family. My granddaughter used to go down there and ride horses until a stop was put to it. And I don't call people druggies unless there is proof to back it up !!! One time her dad took out a shotgun and threatened to go out and shoot every horse there plus the horses are not well taken care of.This is a real sad situation for sure and they have been turned in MANY times and nothing is ever done. She just keeps breeding horses.

I think that sounds like a 2 for 1 special..... and a picnic opportunity
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Mine doesn't play well with others...sometimes. But I do!
He is not a social person. Which is funny cause all the older ladies love him at work!

I have been thinking about why EE's are considered "shy".
I wonder if it's because they are low on the pecking order? My flock is made up of equally "shy" breeds, and i wonder if that's why the EE's are so relaxed and tame. I have noticed that the bottom pecking order birds in the flock seem to be the shyest. I have had good luck feeding those birds seperate, it helps bost their self-esteem, and as a bonus they are the first to come running for the evening treats! :D

As to the "food inc" issue, i personally don't care for confining animals for our use, i know that it is necessary for feeding the world and all, but i don't like it. Does that mean i carry resentment for the farmers who do it? No. They are doing their chosen job. I personally won't do it, but i will not judge for those who do. Someone has to. I wish that we could go back to the homestead days, when every family made contributions to the food supply, but thanks to all the laws and regulations it is now legal to nark a neighbor out for growing a tomato in a flowerbed instead of a flower. :( I speak with my dollars, and do what i can to produce some of my own food, that's all any of us can do.
clap.gif
Exactly. (And just for the record...I've never seen Food, Inc....it is in my queue though! lol!)

Don't worry y'all, I'm a tough cookie. ;)

Sick and sad about those horses! I can't believe that!

Kimmie said something that I totally agreed with too...can't find it though now.

I'm off until tonight...more pallets to tear apart! I need to get this ducky house done!
(And didn't I mention yet that I'm pretty sure I have at least one duck!
wee.gif
How different do duck eggs taste from chicken eggs?)

Last edited:
wee.gif
Hen-duck? Female ducks are called hens too... right?
They taste the same to me... but I get upset stomach after eating them.
I haven't eaten them in years, so maybe it would be different now.
I used them to make cakes and brownies... and didn't have problems though.
I have heard they make cakes fluffier... I, however, never noticed a difference

clap.gif
Exactly. (And just for the record...I've never seen Food, Inc....it is in my queue though! lol!)

Don't worry y'all, I'm a tough cookie. ;)

Sick and sad about those horses! I can't believe that!

Kimmie said something that I totally agreed with too...can't find it though now.

I'm off until tonight...more pallets to tear apart! I need to get this ducky house done!
wee.gif
Yes, it is a real bad situation for those horses. Everytime I go by them, which is just about daily because it is on the way to my sons house, I try to look them over and see if they have hay and stuff. Not that it would do any good to turn them in because plenty of people have. She had the prettiest little foal born earlier this year, it was a paint, now I don't see it anymore :-(

It would be easier if everyone could just get along..lol..then i would only need to put netting over the yard and everyone could live happily ever after underneath it.

I dont know how big I plan on making it, Olive- does one ever know that ahead of time? I only have an average backyard, so I dont have much room- depending on how much of the chickens' space I want to steal, I could go four foot by eight foot to much smaller.

What are my cheaper...did you say easier?....options? share with me.

Well, they pre-make small half hoops for low tunnels. So you could use those. Not sure how much cheaper they'd be than PVC, but that would save you the bending. Another option is conduit, which is stronger than PVC and will hold up better, I believe it's also cheaper in many places. You'd still need to bend that.

And, probably by far the cheapest and easiest way would be with a cattle panel and a few 2x4s. If you don't need it to be walk-in size, you could make two 4'x5' hoop frames with one $20 cattle panel. Ask at the local lumberyard for their cull boards to make your frames and you'll save even more. I think last time I picked them up an 8' 2x4 was $1.79. 10 footers are not much more. They're not perfect, but usually the imperfections are minor and perfectly suitable for things like this. You could have yourself a nice little hoop house for not much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom