MICRO mini pot belly pigs?

comptonkids

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
texas
Is there such a thing?
A guy near me is trying to move his piglets
They usually sell for 250 but he's been extra busy and hasn't had a chance to try to sell them

He's letting them go for $20

I've been reading all day about them, and from what I understand there isn't actually a micro pig?

I'm meeting him at 530 to look at some and plan on bringing home a male and female to start my own small pig farm

Good luck on your adventure.. I know a limited amount about these small pigs. An acquaintance had one. To keep them small, you need to feed them an appropriate diet. If you let them eat like pigs, then they will grow BIG. They do get sick somewhat easily, just like a dog would. Will need to see a veterinarian in times like that. Again, not all dogs get sick, so not all piglets will get sick. I see the stated value as $250, which would put many questions as to why would that person be willing to peddle them at $20. ???????????
EXTRA BUSY IS A LIE HE MAY WANT TO TELL HIS MOTHER.
lau.gif
gig.gif

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

I am always a bit leery when people call their pigs "micro" pigs. I've seen small potbellies (remember it can take pigs five years to reach full size!) but any micro pigs I've seen have had some shady stuff going on with their diets. Too many breeders seem to practice starving their pigs to keep them small and that's a major contributor to why these micro pigs tend to get sick so easily. They just don't get the nutrients needed for proper development as youngsters, but breeders are able to sell them so they don't care much after that. A true potbelly can be 250-350 pounds easy, and sometimes larger!

However, for $20, it's not a huge loss to get a couple and breed them. I would avoid breeding brother/sister unless you were just going to raise the offspring for meat. Unfortunately you won't be able to tell much about size unless you see parents that are 5+ years old.

I seem to remember reading an article where someone bought a "micro" pig and it grew into a giant farm pig weighing over 500 lbs. Im pretty sure most are scams. Im not really a pig person but i think the smallest you can get is a mini potbelly pig and they can get up to 90 lbs. As chickerdoodle said $20 isn't all that much if the pig ends up a 500 lb behemoth. I have seen micro pigs go for $800, talk about a loss of money! If you live on a farm or have the space, you could even raise that pig up for meat.

Is there such a thing?
A guy near me is trying to move his piglets
They usually sell for 250 but he's been extra busy and hasn't had a chance to try to sell them

He's letting them go for $20

I've been reading all day about them, and from what I understand there isn't actually a micro pig?

I'm meeting him at 530 to look at some and plan on bringing home a male and female to start my own small pig farm

What did you find? I hope they are well taken care of. IMO Anyone TOO busy should not own animals.

I raise registered Juliana pigs and I can say that 30-40 lb full grown pigs do exist, but you are asking if they are true "micro" minis. There lies the problem, what is your definition of micro mini? Compared to a farm hog a 200lb potbelly can be considered micro mini. If you are looking for a 30-40 lb adult pig I guarantee you that you won't find a reputable breeder selling them for $20.

I seem to remember reading an article where someone bought a "micro" pig and it grew into a giant farm pig weighing over 500 lbs. Im pretty sure most are scams. Im not really a pig person but i think the smallest you can get is a mini potbelly pig and they can get up to 90 lbs. As chickerdoodle said $20 isn't all that much if the pig ends up a 500 lb behemoth. I have seen micro pigs go for $800, talk about a loss of money! If you live on a farm or have the space, you could even raise that pig up for meat.

Ester the Wonder Pig was supposed to be a mini. She is 650lbs according to her FAQ page!

What did you find? I hope they are well taken care of. IMO Anyone TOO busy should not own animals.
I picked up a male and female
They were not very tame at all

The male got out before I could finish the pen and my dog chased it into a field somewhere

The female has been doing good
I just picked up 2 more a regular potbelly and a mini, from someone who was moving and couldn't bring them with

I have now, 2 females and 1 male...my Penelope us the smallest
There is a bit of 'pecking order' going on

I picked up a male and female
They were not very tame at all

The male got out before I could finish the pen and my dog chased it into a field somewhere

The female has been doing good
I just picked up 2 more a regular potbelly and a mini, from someone who was moving and couldn't bring them with

I have now, 2 females and 1 male...my Penelope us the smallest
There is a bit of 'pecking order' going on

It's so good you are able to take them in. They are really so smart and sweet. You might have to separate male's if not neutered. They can get territorial.

Back
Top Bottom