Micro Serama Question!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jun 15, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    I know that Micro Seramas will probably not lay eggs and do many stuff that the larger Serama can. How would you be able to breed more of the Micro Serama than the larger Serama?

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    a micro serama is like, a true midget chicken... seramas have that gene in them, but it's not understood really... i know that some breeding A or B sized seramas can give a micro out of nowhere... they also don't live long... but they are cute... LOL...

3. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    If I could make a ton of them I would make little things for them to wear lol they would be the cutest:D

4. seramasrus

seramasrus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Arden, NC
    I have been raising seramas for a year now, and from I have heard from other breeders that they do have them pop up every now and than, is that they have a very short life span, a year if you are lucky. And I haven't heard of any one being able to breed them either. I haven't gotten any yet, but if I do, I just plan on giving mine away to who ever will take them. More than half of A seramas do not reproduce themselves, and that is why most people are breeding the B size. Or mixed A's and B's together if you find some A's that will reproduce.

5. ocseramas

ocseramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    I have had a couple and have a black one now. The last one lived 8 months is all. Grady Taylor has some and has actually been able to breed them and currently has chicks. How they will mature, if they mature, only time will tell.

6. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Ok, Take this with a grain of salt because I can't remember exactly that the serama breeder told me.

when you breed 2 seramas say size As, the offspring with be either (+ or - %) of the weight, so you could possibly have 20% off on a size A, which makes a micro serama.
    So I have to eggs in the bator that I got from her, and she said they could possibly be mirco, But hopefully not.

7. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    If any of you know or have any that you want to give away talk to me:D I wanna see if I can breed this little cuties:D

8. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Shelleyd2008 or something like that has one up for auction right now.

9. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Your best bet would be to get a micro cock and put him over a hen that can actually lay. He may just be fertile. I have B's and C's as breeders and I still get micro's and A's on occasion.

I personally don't care for the micros as they don't often don't thrive, at least not for long.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The little girl I have came from breeding 2 'big' seramas. I have no idea what the A, B, and C weights are, but my friend's birds are all right at or a little over the weight limits for the standard set forth and accepted by the SCNA, APA, and ABA. (she did not come from my flock).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by