MicroDuck in the infirmary - pic of him in therapy.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Dec 20, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I noticed Microduck limping severly the other day and brought him in the house to keep him warm and quiet. I cannot find anything wrong with his leg so I'm guessing it must be muscle or tendon. He is eating and pooping normally. He enjoys his daily swimming session and uses his leg just fine as he swims. We just had one of the worst snow storms we've had in years with a foot of snow which is unusual for this area. I'm glad he is in the house. He is only 1/2 the size of a female call duck. We love this little fella!

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    He is SO CUTE! Have you gotten in touch with an like magazine or news station?? I mean he is just so little and well... he might be a phenomenon or something, lol. Like worlds smalled standard breed duck.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    did you check the bottoms on his feet as well? Just make sure there's no sores... also, can you tell if it's swollen at all? He probably tripped and hurt himself a bit. Those spa treatments should help too!

If it is a muscle or tendon problem, you can give him a mini soak in a little tub (like a 16qt plastic bin, filled with only enough water to cover his legs). Use warm water and add some epsom salt. You'll have to watch him closely while you do so, making sure he doesn't drink the water. That should help his poor little wittle muscles...

Gosh he is just sooo cute and teeny weeny!

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    He's so darling and tiny! [​IMG]

I'm hoping for a smooth and fast recovery for him--I've had a few incidents of limping like that and usually after a bit of rest time, they recover just fine. I hope that's the case with him, too. [​IMG] Good luck, MicroDuck!

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks Nettie, he is precious. I am constantly worrying about him and feel he is still fragile. While he is swimming around I can see the bottoms of his feet really well. All is clear. I'm thinking he must have sprained something. He is sooooo tiny and runs, plays and swims with other calls as well as larger ducks. It's funny, the khakis (males) pick on everybody, but I never see them even touch MicroDuck. I suppose it happens and I just never catch it. I'm worried about the spring time. I will really have to be diligent and watch out for little Micro. He seems to be doing ok. I do love this little guy.

6. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    We love this little guy, too, and are hoping for the very, very BEST for him. How is he today?? Can't put him outside now. He's spoiled to those spa treatments and it's just too darn COLD out there!!! Guess you'll have to let him sleep on your pillow, Chickensioux. [​IMG]

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

DS11 and I spent an entire two days on a car ride a while ago talking about microduck. Not only that but we microducked everything... as in microduck was the answer to anything we didn't know the answer to. We sang about microduck, and made microduck jokes... We had a great time. We both wish the best for him.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That's funny!

When I see something little I always call it a "micro-whatever" because of MicroDuck.

For example, I am baking cookies today and DH wanted a taste. I gave him a smallish cookie to try and he said What's THIS?"

I said

It's a MicroCookie!

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Yes, just like that!

10. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Micro Duck is such a cutie... hope he recovers soon. I just can't imagine a duck so small. I think inside is a great place for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by