Microscopic bugs?

I have just sprayed the inside of the coop, while I sprayed the walls I concentrated on the bedding, nest boxes, roosts, PDZ, under the drop boards. As I was doing I kept wondering if I have done things correctly, should I do the run underneath, should I... ???

I have rationalized:
  1. That the mites I have (Northern Fowl) are primarily "on the bird" and if they go off they would go to the bedding (but I know that this is not true as they are living on the cat cage that was in the brooder box where I kept the hen on which we first discovered the mites).
  2. That the permethrin spray will persist on the chickens over the next few days.
  3. That I will re-spray two more times.

But the truth is I do not know, just doing all the things that those that have responded to this thread have suggested, very much appreciated.
Don't forget to spray the coop ceilings as well. The feeders and waterer need to be cleaned and sanitized also, as mites often hide in the feeders or underneath the waterers.

Day 5 and the flock has been sprayed for the second time, once again confined to the cage inside the garage. I will empty all bedding from the coop into the covered expanded run tomorrow (I just finished the roof today so can move without fear of getting rain/snow on it). I have decided to spray the old bedding once it is moved and then do do a very thorough job in the empty coop. Birds will have to stay outside for the day but they will not mind that.

One more spraying scheduled for 9 days from now.

IMG_20201109_151709.jpg IMG_20201109_151818.jpg

Last edited:
Day 15 (1 day late) and 3rd spraying has been done. Coop with new bedding will be sprayed tomorrow morning. We believe we have at least 2 birds still with mites; all birds in a cage inside garage overnight.

Is this normal and part of the stage progression that one is dealing with? If not what should I be doing going forward (besides regular 2 or 4 week inspections)?

Thank you.

@Tesumph

Last edited:
Ugh. Our dogs have fleas right now so I feel your pain about treating everyone and cleaning every freaking thing theyve touched. It sounds like you're doing great!

I would rather burn the infested bedding to kill all of the parasites for sure.

You are right of course. Me? I ran out of brain space and energy;1 year into chickens, still lots to learn.

Northern Fowl mites live on body, survive 3-6 weeks off (unlike Red mites that live in cracks and crevices); I believe all mites stop re-generation below a certain temperature (8C?)? Once I get past my current build "Expanded Run" exercise I will spray the run bedding several times, in winter so carefully.

@Tesumph @Overo Mare

I still have mites after following the day 1, 5, 14 spray regime; also sprayed inside of coop, moved bedding from coop to new outside run, put new pine shavings/straw bedding into coop.

Temperatures here are below 0C most nights so spraying seems problematic. I do not know where I can get powder permethrin or severin in Canada.

How should I proceed?

I have read that sulphur powder is effective to eliminate mites/lice? Suspect that there might be egg impact?

I am going to start weekly spray of individuals and bring inside overnight to dry.

Is it correct that mites do not breed below a certain temperature (8C?)? Should I continue to spray with permethrin my run bedding (from the coop during infestation) in the winter?

I have read that sulphur powder is effective to eliminate mites/lice? Suspect that there might be egg impact?

I am going to start weekly spray of individuals and bring inside overnight to dry.

Is it correct that mites do not breed below a certain temperature (8C?)? Should I continue to spray with permethrin my run bedding (from the coop during infestation) in the winter?
At this point, I would recommend seeking an entomologist's help. You can mail samples to one, or visit in person. Check out your closest university, they will be able to identify and provide some insight.

There's not much else I can say without a microscope unfortunately. I'm no expert, I just have a lot of parasitology under my belt.
I would keep spraying them as often as possible, and maybe seek the advice of a veterinarian for stronger insecticide options.

Back
Top Bottom