Microscopic bugs?

To clarify, I assume it is best to clean out the coop at least for the first cycle? 2nd, 3rd?
Yes, or just spray the coop as well.
This is all assuming that you do NOT have red mites, which would require a deep clean AND spraying of the entire building multiple times. That is because Red mites can survive off of their host, the chickens, while Northern fowl mites (generally) cannot.
Best of luck, please tag me if your photographer friend gets some good photos.

Any tips for spraying the birds. I think I know that the bugs concentrate under wings and near the vent but assume that they should be spayed over all of the body with the exception of the head?

Any tips for spraying the birds. I think I know that the bugs concentrate under wings and near the vent but assume that they should be spayed over all of the body with the exception of the head?
It's much easier with a helper. Have someone pluck them off the roost, flip them over, push fluffy butt feathers up and spray vent and keel liberally.
Flip right-side-up, spray under each wing. Run hand up the back feathers, spraying as you go. Push neck feathers up and spray skin.
Repeat.

Folks, I very much appreciate the advice and guidance. This is my first experience with any type of malady or otherwise negative situation and, given complete ignorance, has been stressful.

My photographer friend will return this weekend and I am hoping will help with the 1st treatment. She has a phobia to bugglies so I will be holding, she will be spraying. I will do the process at night in the garage and birds will go into a cage (8' by 4' by 6') overnight. Once completed the birds I will liberally spray the coop. We are currently below freezing here at night so an added complication.

Starting next Wednesday we are to have a week of 10C and above weather, I will complete my extended covered 12' by 12' run then empty the coop of bedding, re-spray and then replace with new bedding (pine shavings and straw). This project has been on the books for a year so the motivation to get it done is welcomed and will make winter life for the birds much more pleasant,

I will post pictures as I progress,

For your own health better take them outside to spray, you do not want to inhale the insecticide.

Obvious but I did not even think about me, worried about the birds. Thank you!

This will be easy, I have 3 garage bays the one I will be using has a 10' by 10' door. I will open it up and step outside to do the spraying. Doing the coop will prove more tricky.

Obvious but I did not even think about me, worried about the birds. Thank you!

This will be easy, I have 3 garage bays the one I will be using has a 10' by 10' door. I will open it up and step outside to do the spraying. Doing the coop will prove more tricky.
Make sure you and the person helping wear an appropriate mask (FFP3) while working on the coop.

Mask would be good, but you'll likely have more dripping than airborne issues.
Sprayer nozzle should be held right against very close birds skin.
Wear water proof gloves, wash hands, arms, and clothing pronto.

Seems that there are two circumstances that I will have to deal with: spraying the birds which I will do outside and then spraying the coop where I will be in a semi-enclosed space.

I had already thought about showers and washing clothes but not about protecting myself during the spraying process. I have a heavy rain suit, nitril gloves and a respirator mask.

Back
Top Bottom