Microscopic bugs?

@Tesumph

Success with better pictures, taken with Nikon D810 with a 105mm Macro lens processed through Photoshop for enhancement, clarity and sharpening.

They have eight legs so are mites and we have determined that they have lived off the chicken for a bit more than a week. The pictures (white background) also show, we believe, some without blood and some with. It is apparent from leg movement (see shots with black background) that they are still alive. The white background shot with the circle clearly shows eight legs.

I will check again tonight with paper towel under the roosts for signs of blood. Will also try to feel for lumps on the chickens.

_LIN7712.jpg
_LIN7712-2.jpg
_LIN7728-1.jpg
_LIN7729-2.jpg
_LIN7730-3.jpg

Last edited:
@Tesumph

Success with better pictures, taken with Nikon D810 with a 105mm Macro lens processed through Photoshop for enhancement, clarity and sharpening.

They have eight legs so are mites and we have determined that they have lived off the chicken for a bit more than a week. The pictures (white background) also show, we believe, some without blood and some with also after off the chicken for a bit more than a month. It is apparent from leg movement (see shots with black background) that they are still alive after more than a week. the white background shot with the circle clearly shows eight legs.

I will check again tonight with paper towel under the roosts for signs of blood. Will also try to feel for lumps on the chickens.

View attachment 2396724View attachment 2396726View attachment 2396727View attachment 2396732View attachment 2396731
Cool pics! they are mites.
Engorged Ornithonyssus can survive off the host for a couple of weeks. Following the spraying schedule + keeping up with routine checks will clear them up no problem.

1st spray down of the flock is done. Temperatures increased and will continue to rise over the next 7 days.

I was fortunate to have my photographer friend lend a hand. Twenty five birds to do, took just under two hours. Waited until after dark.

They are now in a large cage inside the garage, will stay overnight. I will spray the inside of the coop tomorrow morning and let it dry. I will repeat the treatment next Monday.

Also started the roof on the expanded run, drive to finish while the weather remains warm.

I have just sprayed the inside of the coop, while I sprayed the walls I concentrated on the bedding, nest boxes, roosts, PDZ, under the drop boards. As I was doing I kept wondering if I have done things correctly, should I do the run underneath, should I... ???

I have rationalized:
  1. That the mites I have (Northern Fowl) are primarily "on the bird" and if they go off they would go to the bedding (but I know that this is not true as they are living on the cat cage that was in the brooder box where I kept the hen on which we first discovered the mites).
  2. That the permethrin spray will persist on the chickens over the next few days.
  3. That I will re-spray two more times.

But the truth is I do not know, just doing all the things that those that have responded to this thread have suggested, very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom