mid hatch death? 3 hatched, 4 stopped progressing. What’s going on?

Mar 27, 2023
I have 7 eggs. 3 hatched today— day 21. But the other 4 just stopped. No pips, peeps, movement, nothing since approximately 12-1pm. It’s 4:22pm now EST. Hatching with a broody. What could possibly be happening? Did they die??? What do I do? First time btw. Thanks in advance!

Mama is on the nest right now, yes. Unfortunately, I discovered that 2 of the 3 hatched babies died. She also somehow cracked open one of her other eggs apparently and killed it 😭 made a huge mess... but 3 unhatched remain. No pips, nothing. So, so far there is only 1 viable chick at this time. It is strong and healthy though. The other two seemed very weak from the jump. First pip I assume occurred around 4am. I heard cheeping for the first time at that moment when I was making my husband’s lunch.

Mama is on the nest right now, yes. Unfortunately, I discovered that 2 of the 3 hatched babies died. She also somehow cracked open one of her other eggs apparently and killed it 😭 made a huge mess... but 3 unhatched remain. No pips, nothing. So, so far there is only 1 viable chick at this time. It is strong and healthy though. The other two seemed very weak from the jump. First pip I assume occurred around 4am. I heard cheeping for the first time at that moment when I was making my husband’s lunch.
If she’s still on the nest I would wait and see what happens. Keep food and water nearby for the chick. If she’s not off the nest tomorrow you’ll have to decide if you want to wait any longer or get rid of the eggs.

If you have a feed store nearby with chicks you can try adding a couple under her at night if the other two don’t hatch. Or not, it’s up to you.

All of the chicks except for one of the hatchlings died. The second to pip was the only one to survive. I’ve no idea what happened, but I have pulled the one chick from the broody and put him in a brooder for keep him safe and warm. I worry about him being lonely, though. I intend to go to tractor supply tomorrow to buy him a few friends.
Should I go ahead and attempt to break my broody? She is still nesting with the dead eggs. She apparently cracked them open and ate the yolk they did not absorb… not sure if she would be a hood broody in the future because of this?…
Should I buy her a couple of chicks to raise as well? Of course, if she rejects them, they can go with Lucky and his friends in the brooder. But should I do that for her? She almost looks depressed. But I’m probably projecting my feelings onto her, right? Losing 6 chicks on hatch day has been devastating. However, I am thankful for the one who lived.
A side question, can ducklings brood with baby chicks? We have a few ducklings on the way. We are new to poultry, but we are growing our flock and would love pointers. Thanks!

All of the chicks except for one of the hatchlings died. The second to pip was the only one to survive. I’ve no idea what happened, but I have pulled the one chick from the broody and put him in a brooder for keep him safe and warm. I worry about him being lonely, though. I intend to go to tractor supply tomorrow to buy him a few friends.
Should I go ahead and attempt to break my broody? She is still nesting with the dead eggs. She apparently cracked them open and ate the yolk they did not absorb… not sure if she would be a hood broody in the future because of this?…
Should I buy her a couple of chicks to raise as well? Of course, if she rejects them, they can go with Lucky and his friends in the brooder. But should I do that for her? She almost looks depressed. But I’m probably projecting my feelings onto her, right? Losing 6 chicks on hatch day has been devastating. However, I am thankful for the one who lived.
A side question, can ducklings brood with baby chicks? We have a few ducklings on the way. We are new to poultry, but we are growing our flock and would love pointers. Thanks!
I would try chicks with her or not, but not both. She may potentially kill any others she doesn’t consider hers.

Is there any possibility that the remaining eggs are late hatchers? Or are you certain they’re dead. If you’re sure then I’d break her and get Lucky a few friends and move on.

All of the eggs are definitely dead… one had its foot over its wing and was malpositioned I think is the proper term. The other two died before even internally pipping. Yolk sacs were mostly absorbed for two chicks (less than 1/6 left), but the other one had about 1/2 left. All were fully developed. No visible deformities. If I had assisted two of the 3, I believe they could have lived. This was my first clutch. I suppose I know better next time. My broody has broke, and is now sitting in my lap again and following me around as she used to. She is beginning to tolerate touch once more as well. So I suppose we’re on the right track.
I want to try hatching with her again next month. Would that be an okay thing to do? Or does she need more down time?
Thank you for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom