Mid January Hatch thread....

Quote:
how do you turn eggs the eggs still needing to be turned when in lockdown? Also, how do you keep them from getting knocked around and dirty from the hatching babies? Mine are due on the 12 and then 6 two weeks later.

I use 2 incubators! A Little giant forced air with turner for days 1 - 18 and then a little giant still air for lockdown and hatching!

Oh good. That would be a lot of work doing it in one. My hubby said I could buy a second one but I can't decide what to get:(. The one i'm using now is a lg still air and does pretty good as long as I check the temps often. It's my mom's incubator, so I really do need my own...
smile.png
. Just saw one on craigslist for 350. Holds over 500 eggs! Lol! Probably not the best idea. Tomorrow is lockdown!
jumpy.gif

I'll join in , I will hopefully have 4 that hatch this week and 2 more next week my silkie hen went broody after Christmas with 4 eggs and my turken laid in her nest a week later and I candled at day 8 and had good swimmers i'll prob candle again tonight since i have to clean out her nest. I have her in a kennel and some of my banty girls like to roost on top of it since i have a heat lamp over it and they have poo'ed in her nest.

Quote:
I use 2 incubators! A Little giant forced air with turner for days 1 - 18 and then a little giant still air for lockdown and hatching!

Oh good. That would be a lot of work doing it in one. My hubby said I could buy a second one but I can't decide what to get:(. The one i'm using now is a lg still air and does pretty good as long as I check the temps often. It's my mom's incubator, so I really do need my own...
smile.png
. Just saw one on craigslist for 350. Holds over 500 eggs! Lol! Probably not the best idea. Tomorrow is lockdown!
jumpy.gif

Try Tractor Supply Store if there is one near you! They usually have still airs for like $45!

I have 12 French black/blue copper Marans eggs and 7 Silies eggs in my incubator due to hatch jan 21st. This is my first go at incubating!! I'm so excited! I candle the Silkie eggs every night and they are all looking great but the BCM eggs are too dark
hmm.png

I also have a great Silkie Brodie hen sitting on eggs due at all different times. Two black Silkie chicks hatched over the weekend and I have 4 BCM, 1 blue olive egger and 4 more Silkie eggs waiting under her. I'm so scared/excited about the eggs in the incubator! I really want to get the hang of hatching and can see how this can become very addicting like everything else chicken
smile.png
I'm already collecting eggs and planning my next hatch LOL Good luck everyone! Any tips for a first timer would be great.

One question- I read somewhere that on day 18 they put the eggs in a egg carton to hatch and have better hatch rates? Any info/opinions on that?

Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png
jumpy.gif

Try Tractor Supply Store if there is one near you! They usually have still airs for like $45!

Thats where my Mom bought the one I am using. I ordered a brinsea 20 eco. I swear I just heard I peep from the incubator! It's day eighteen so probably not, but I'm getting excited!
jumpy.gif
:jumpy

Quote:

Thats where my Mom bought the one I am using. I ordered a brinsea 20 eco. I swear I just heard I peep from the incubator! It's day eighteen so probably not, but I'm getting excited!
jumpy.gif

Is the Brinsea forced air or still?? I have heard mixed reviews so please let me know how it works for you! Some people swear they are better then the LG's! How many eggs does it hold compared to the LG with turner which is 41!

Quote:
jumpy.gif

Is the Brinsea forced air or still?? I have heard mixed reviews so please let me know how it works for you! Some people swear they are better then the LG's! How many eggs does it hold compared to the LG with turner which is 41!

Its forced air. I will probably incubate in it and hatch in the LG. it holds 20 I think, but up to 32 if you stack them. Or so I've read
smile.png

Quote:

Its forced air. I will probably incubate in it and hatch in the LG. it holds 20 I think, but up to 32 if you stack them. Or so I've read
smile.png

I think I better stick with the lg's then! They hold a turner which holds 41 eggs! I do not wanna deal with trying to turn 32 stacked eggs 3 tmes a day! That would stink! But that is the way to go with them! Use the forced to incubate because it holds the temps more even through-out the bator! Then hatch in the still!

Quote:
Good luck with your hatch! And with the egg cartons, Its just a matter of preferance. I like to do it with the eggs on their sides because it works better for me, but the reason allot of people like the cartons is because they are made of paper, therefore absorbing water and making it more humid around the eggs, and keep the eggs in place so they dont go rolling around damaging other eggs, plus its less mess with the cartons. You just have to try it both ways a couple of times and see which one works better for you. But putting the eggs n their sides is better for thr first time hatcher. Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom