Mid January Hatch thread....

Woot!!! I'm so excited that all seven still look great, April! I have to admit that candling starts getting a lot less interesting (to me) from this point on.

I just candled my Jan 22 batch and my 7 are still going! My 3 little self blues are just a hopping around in there! I wouldn't have thought I would still be able to see them move with 10 days to go....

April

Yay!!!!
yesss.gif
I'm still just sitting in lockdown, trying not to freak out...

Question.. at what day do you guys start culling out the blanks? I'm on day 12 and finally took 4 eggs out of my incubator that candle blank. I have several marans & other dark eggs I'm having trouble candling as easy and wondering if it is OK to just leave them in for the long haul?

I generally don't toss unless I am very, very sure they are duds. If I can't see inside them (My EE eggs were so dark that candling was iffy, at best), then I leave them. If I have the slightest hope, I leave it. I don't have a ton of confidence in my candling skills, and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Two downsides to my cautious attitude:

1- you don't have that room in your incubator

2- you could *possibly* have an egg explosion. From what I've heard, this is relatively rare, and it's usually preceded by a horrible smell and sometimes oozing gunk.

Ambrosia, when are your eggs due again?

Question.. at what day do you guys start culling out the blanks? I'm on day 12 and finally took 4 eggs out of my incubator that candle blank. I have several marans & other dark eggs I'm having trouble candling as easy and wondering if it is OK to just leave them in for the long haul?

Just leave any eggs in there unless you are absolutely sure that they are duds. Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I was sure because I could just see the yolk in there floating around... I did leave all the EE in there cause I couldn't see squat in them. I figured that if the 7 where still going that it was possible they are still good too! I know the EE are fertile cause I eat some tonight and they where all fertile... I did just take 6 out tonight that where white/light brown shells. Had the yolks floating around..... should have seen veins big time like the other 7. And they are 11 days in.. 10 to go..

April

Last edited:
I generally don't toss unless I am very, very sure they are duds. If I can't see inside them (My EE eggs were so dark that candling was iffy, at best), then I leave them. If I have the slightest hope, I leave it. I don't have a ton of confidence in my candling skills, and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Two downsides to my cautious attitude:

1- you don't have that room in your incubator

2- you could *possibly* have an egg explosion. From what I've heard, this is relatively rare, and it's usually preceded by a horrible smell and sometimes oozing gunk.

Ambrosia, when are your eggs due again?
Saturday.... I'm sad that I can't open the bator and touch them anymore... withdrawals!!!!

Oh Schunn, they are so cute!!! What breeds did you get again?

My babies are already growing up- they all have 2-3 rows of feathers on their wings now. I can't believe how fast it goes.

Back
Top Bottom