Mid January Hatch thread....

Oh, those chicks are soooooo cute! I can't wait to watch them grow up!

Cayuse, it takes FOREVER. My first two eggs of the batch, it was nearly 24 hours.

what is bsa?

welcome-byc.gif

candled for the last time tonight, don't know what i'm seeing in these brown eggs, I do know that 3 of the 14 are clear, the rest are just dark blobs, hardly any air cell, some air cell in small end. Tomorrow is lockdown.

Well, the three that are clear are duds. The rest sound like they're about perfect.

Good luck with lockdown!

I only leave them in the house for a couple of weeks. After that the dust gets too annoying.
So they're never old enough to actually jump out of the little pool.
I did leave one batch in the pool for about 3-1/2 weeks and I wrapped some deer netting (cut in half) around the edges clipped on with binder clips.
The Silkies are never big enough to jump out but in that previous hatch I also had some Marans that were tall enough to peek over the edges and wonder if the grass was greener on the other side.

smile.png

Woot!!!! They were totally waiting for you to come home! I bet they'll start pipping and zipping just in time for you to watch.

Alienchick, your silkies are so adorable!!! I love your little swimming pool idea. What will you do when they start jumping? Mine are a week old, and I'm already thinking I need to put the cover on my aquarium.

Well the one that has pipped, did it on the small end, so I made the hole a little bigger so it's beak could get out, when I opened up the bator I noticed another one had a crack started but not large enough to actually be an air hole. I hear it knocking around a lot and it is rocking. I wonder since it is on the correct end does it need a pip?

Ok people! Thoughts please! I have 15 in the hatcher! 5 or 6 were rocking and wiggling! I now see nothing! Soooo..... I candled (very quickly) and all are moving inside the egg! Day 21 starts at midnight! Not a single one has pipped! They all still look very veiny! Is that normal this late in the cycle? Shouldn't the veins be gone by now?

P.S. - my temps have been perfectly stable for the whole cycle at 99.5 and my humidity was awesome throughout days 1 - 18 at 35% - 45%, hatcher temps same and humidity is kinda stuck at 63%

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom