Mid-life Crisis or WHAT??

Okay, I'm officially jealous... of the car if nothing else.

Hmmm... so you like outdoors, but not gardening... I can hear you on that one since my thumb isn't so much green as brownish black... though I am amazingly adept at growing trees in my flowerbeds. *growl* and the reading 100% relate. I can devour books, it's an addiction. Only room in the house without dedicated shelves is the bathroom, due to humidity. And there are piles of books. Not just mine but DH's as well... and I am horrible about hording them. I like almost anything, and I like to read them over and over, so I just can't get rid of them. Half Price books is awesome, especially the clearance section... then there's Book Rack, recent discovery... very very VERY rarely buy from B&N (maybe if I get a gift card)... ebay or amazon before B&N any day. Anywho, I have tons of fiction... and am always hunting new authors... as 'mine' take forever to get a new book out (but so worth it)... any particular genre you like/hate? Maybe we could brainstorm on some authors to try?

StupidBird, I could SO give you a run for your money for that title.

Quote:
Sorry about the last post, but I do feel somewhat better. venting is good for the soul, right? I have tons of books too. I buy books at flea markets, amazon, book clubs,...thrift stores. If it looks interesting I will read it. I really like historical fiction. I love history. I like Ken Follett, he wrote World Without End and The Pillars of Earth, plus many more. Also I like Sharyn McCrumb, she is like an appalachian writer, mostly historical fiction with a twist of mystery. Victoria Holt for historical romances. What do you read?

Better question is what I don't. Honestly I even made it through Villette by Bronte... English gal in Paris so all the conversations are in French... I do NOT speak French... if that gives you ANY idea. LOVE me some Dickens (he's such a smarty pants)... Bronte and Austen... Pride and Prejudice is a favorite... Le Mis was SO sad and anger inspiring, but to me that reaction just makes it a good read. ANY emotional reaction really. I cried at the end of His Dark Materials... but then I also cried when Claudia bit the dust (BAD bad pun) in Interview with a Vampire... love Rice well the Vamp and Taltos series anyways... King and Crichton and Grisham... and and... Koontz and Saul... and DH introduced me to Robert Jordan... Just reread the Eragon books this week (DS chose that and I need to be able to discuss with him to check his comprehension)... Moby Dick was NOT a favorite... listening to them go on and on and ON about all this stuff that we now know is a crock was just so TEDIOUS... but I prevailed. Have yet to be able to start and stick with Tale of Two Cities though... not enough oomph to catch me I guess.

Now for a giggle I love Janet Evanovich... hehe those are laugh out loud ones... the bestest kind. I am STILL snickering, years later, any time I think about Granny shooting the chicken in the gumpy. *snort*

I had totally ran out of authors... or rather my authors ran out of books I didn't have/hadn't read... and then I found book rack... their clearance section they have 3/1.00 romance novels... I figured well what the hey... for 33 cents why not? So now there's a huge pile of those... at that price... can't beat it, even if the story is a bit predictable...

Half Price Clearance, before finding Book Rack, and still in the same quandry of nothing to read led to trying Nora Roberts ... okay but not my favorite... and Sandra Brown... definitely like her work more than Roberts.. but I've heard the 'blue hairs' tittering over how racy they are... found that quite amusing as I was only part way through my first Brown book when I heard that... snickered like crazy... and then by the end went AHHH that's what they meant. White Hot put an interesting spin on the word Liar I can tell you that.

Oh shoot, well that was a ramble and I just got rolling... I'll leave off for now...

Wow, french huh?? You have more patience than I. I love Jane Austen too,...Pride and Prejudice my favorite also. I just read Cassandra & Jane by Jill Pitkeathley. It is about Jane and her sister, total fiction of course but based on real facts. It was very good. She also has another book out about Jane,..I can't remember the name right off hand. I agree with you about Nora Roberts. I read Black Hills,..it was okay, but none of her other books seem to grab my attention. My favorite thing to do is go to a thrift store to buy books. You will find books from the 40's and 50's, maybe older, and cheap,.... I read one I picked up, Greenwillow by B.J. Chute, older book. It was very good. Like a fairytale of sorts, and so innocent. Without reading I believe I would loose what sanity I have left.

lol.png
SB, boy if that don't sum it up!

Keep a lookout, I've found Brown and Evanovich books at thrift stores, yard sales and in the clearance section... well worth a dollar (or less) to see if one strikes your fancy... and then once you find a new author you like... well the hunt begins... hehe... is it just me or is finding a good book for under a buck a major coup? Not quite as good as when, with coupons, the store pays you a few cents to take something... but still pretty darn cool.

Last edited:
The hunt is the exciting part. I believe that is why I like genealogy so well. Finding dead people,..thats what my kids say. "Mommy is looking for dead people." They are a hoot.
big_smile.png

So Janet Evanovich (sp?) is funny? I love a good laugh,...our dollar store has some of her books,...hmmmmm,...the quest begins!

Back
Top Bottom