Mid march hatch a long

Got my humidity gauge and did add some moisture, it will probably keep going up overnight, but this is day one so should be ok. It was at 50% last checkup and I'd added the water an hour before. Also got a 'min/max' gauge thermometer on the clear door, so it will probably read cooler than what the eggs are, but it will give me an idea of overnight fluctuations!

Yeah, I sat and watched the eggs go from left to right, the light go on and off and watched all the temp/humidity gauges this evening. Better than TV!

Lol, glad I am not the only one that has crazy temps on the incubator, this hatch seems to be going pretty good so far, 36 eggs going, looks to be about 32 good ones at this point, those dark welsummer eggs are real hard to candle though, have been using an Led mini flash light on them in a very dark room, but am not sure of the progress of a few of them. I don't even measure the humidity on mine, just add water every 3 or 4 days, then bump the humidity up the last three days, drives me crazy trying to keep up with the humidty for 21 days. Our weather here in Oklahoma changes so frequently. I have been running the tempature around 100.5 degrees F.
I have ran out of places and heat lamps for the ones hatched out so far, but there is one bunch in the brooder that will be ready for the grow out pen next friday, so I will have a brooder ready out in the chicken grow out building ready for the bunch I have in the house. They are starting to smell a bit even with keeping the brooder clean.

Well, I just set another 11 eggs tonight, so I've got three hatch days going (March 11, 18, 26). First ones will go into lockdown this Thursday, yay! This is also my first attempt at incubation, we have two incubators so one will be a hatcher. I struggle with the humidity, too. We have forced hot air for heat and it's still full on winter here in NH so the furnace runs a lot, which dries out the house. My ambient humidity is like 20%. So even filling all the water reservoirs in the incubator only brings it up to about 45%. Fine for incubating, but for lockdown I'm going to have to add sponges left and right, wish me luck! 7 of the first 11 I set look good, and 6 of the second 13 also look good. I culled again tonight to make room for the new 11 eggs. I think I'll have to stop there because I really only have one brooder space set up and a two week age difference is about as far as I want to push it on the little guys.

I have 7 (ducks) in my incubator DTH: March 13th and 10 (ducks) under my broody female DTH: Around somewhere around March 13th-15th.
celebrate.gif

So excited I can't wait! Lockdown will start a week from tomorrow! One of the eggs in my incubator cracked (not through the membrane though) out in the nest about 2 weeks ago so I put some wax over the crack and brought it in. It's last this long, I hope it can pull through another week and survive the hatch.
fl.gif

My new brinsea is holding temp. and humidity rock steady. It is so nice to have all that done for you instead of having to fret over it constantly. I fought both all the time with my LG and it was hard to maintain when I had to be gone for 13-14hrs at a time.

I am half way through!!! My LG is holding temps great. Excited!!! Hoping everything is do great. I am not going to candle.

Candled some of the paler eggs tonight and they all look to be developing just fine. After a bad hatch last time I got a hygrometer (lesson learned, don't hatch without one!) from wally world and I couldn't believe it, it was dead on with the salt-in-the-bag calibration! I will be candling the rest of mine tomorrow, as well as setting 20 more that are SUPPOSED to arrive via USPS tomorrow morning. They may have to wait until Wednesday morning depending on how the air cells look. Happy Hatching all!

Has anyone ever incubated turkey eggs ? My turkey hens have started laying, I have began collecting their eggs, have them on an egg turner......Next project is in the making.

I have 7 BLR wyandottes due the 20th. this is my first hatching. They all appear somewhat healthy. One seems to be progressing a bit slower than the others.

Just more incentive to get the new coop built.

Back
Top Bottom