Midget White vs Beltsville Small White

Engteacher

Poultry, Poetry, and Prose
13 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Hastings, MN
Could someone who knows both of these breeds well please give me a side-by-side comparison? I'm specifically interested in size, temperament, taste, health, broodiness, maternal aptitude, and whatever else I might be missing. I'm thinking about raising some next spring so that I don't have to buy next Thanksgiving's main dish. What attracts me to these two, to be honest, is their size. I can't handle a 40 lb bird, but 15 lbs is much more manageable. If it works out, I would consider keeping a trio as breeding stock going forward. What can you tell me?

Oh, and I live in Minnesota, so I'd have to either go through Stromberg's Hatchery for Midget Whites or Urch/Turnlund for Beltsville Small White, because, as I understand it, poults have to go through a series of tests if they're shipped from out of state.

Does anyone know if I can get hatching eggs from out of state?

I sure appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge. For newbies like me, it's such a relief to get such great advice.

There is a breeder of Beltsvilles on Eggbid.com that sells hatching eggs and started poults, from Indiana I believe. My beltsvilles came from her flock. I will say this about the Beltsville hens. They are small but they rule the turkey flock and anyone else who gets in their way. They are scrappy little things! My trio should be laying soon. I honestly think the Beltsvilles are a tad bit smaller than the Midget Whites from doing comparisons at the shows we've entered with our Beltsvilles. As far as how they dress out and taste, I don't know. I don't process birds here of any breed.

Back
Top Bottom