Midnight Majesty Maran sex?

Shabib1

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2023
I have 5 of these Midnight Majesty Marans and they were supposed to all be pullets. After doing some research, I see that the barred ones are male. All of mine are somewhat barred so I’m curious if the hatchery made a mistake? They are 9 weeks old this week. Thank you for any feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0441.jpeg
    IMG_0441.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0442.jpeg
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    793.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    822 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0451.png
    IMG_0451.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
:welcome Where did you get them? Some suppliers are notorious for mislabeling breeds. If they are 'for sure' Midnight Majesty Marans, they are cockerels.

They could be cuckoo marans by mistake, to my eye they look like pullets. One almost looks like the start of saddle feathers, but I wouldn't think at that age they would....The one actual male midnight majesty marans I got, stood literally head and shoulders above the pullets, but took until at least a few weeks older than yours to do so. I had a female barred rock get slilpped in with the pullet MMM's, but yours don't seem to have any yellow on their legs at all for that to happen.

:welcome Where did you get them? Some suppliers are notorious for mislabeling breeds. If they are 'for sure' Midnight Majesty Marans, they are cockerels.
They came directly from Hoover Hatchery. I ordered 20 birds total (5 Midnight majesty Marans, 5 Sapphire Gems, 5 Sapphire Olive Eggers, and 5 Blue Laced Gold Wyandottes). They were all supposed to be females but I already know one of my Blue laced golds is a rooster. Now I’m questioning these MMM and a few others. Very disappointing if I end up having majority roosters as it’s too late to call them.

They could be cuckoo marans by mistake, to my eye they look like pullets. One almost looks like the start of saddle feathers, but I wouldn't think at that age they would....The one actual male midnight majesty marans I got, stood literally head and shoulders above the pullets, but took until at least a few weeks older than yours to do so. I had a female barred rock get slilpped in with the pullet MMM's, but yours don't seem to have any yellow on their legs at all for that to happen.
I was thinking they could be cuckoo’s as well. They have gotten darker but I’m losing hope 😔

They look like French Cuckoo Maran females. :)

Hoover's does have them.
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/frenchcuckoomarans.html
Thank you so much! That is exactly what they are starting to look like. I’m assuming there is nothing I can do now at this point to have them make it right. Was really wanting the Midnight Majesty’s but I believe I would have had to contact them within a few days of receiving them.

Back
Top Bottom