Midnight majesty marans

Midnight Majestic Maran female at eight weeks.

Attachments

• 39B30C1A-BA5A-4EC1-9A66-BF27EA38E133.jpeg
    39B30C1A-BA5A-4EC1-9A66-BF27EA38E133.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 464
I'm curious about these ones too! I picked up one this year because I had never heard of them and thought they looked beautiful. Well she "Iris" is so much bigger than the rest of my 8 week pullets. Solid black with an iridescence to her feathers. Making me nervous that she is a cockerel. Based on everyone else's comments maybe they are just bigger ladies?

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_124605540.jpg
    IMG_20190421_124605540.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20190427_173032740_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190427_173032740_HDR.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20190421_124206996_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190421_124206996_HDR.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 394
I'm curious about these ones too! I picked up one this year because I had never heard of them and thought they looked beautiful. Well she "Iris" is so much bigger than the rest of my 8 week pullets. Solid black with an iridescence to her feathers. Making me nervous that she is a cockerel. Based on everyone else's comments maybe they are just bigger ladies?

The iridescence is nothing to be concerned about. It occurs in all black birds regardless of sex or breed.

I dipped my hand into the MMM tank at my farm supply too-just on Thursday. Had to try and price was right for a Marans. Hybrid is labeled on the Hoover’s info. So I’m guessing they’ll lay well for two years and be spent early? That’s the thing. I like keeping my girls as long as I can with a little give back. We shall see. They are friendly little chicks. I picked up two Barnevelders with these two also. Excited for more dark eggs. My one Welsummer is 3 this year. And she’s tapering off. Do you think those combs are super dark? BCM x ceymani ? :idunno
Some of the chicks had feathered legs some did not.
FFCA1CEE-0223-4F35-A726-BC5EB80B45F0.jpeg

So are these Midnight Majesty Marens the same things as these Dominate Copper that are available at Jenks Hatchery?

https://jenks-hatchery-inc.myshopify.com/pages/special-chick-bundles

I am wondering the same thing. I have two of the Dominant Coppers from Jenks and the descriptions are extremely similar. The Dominant Coppers are supposed to be from a Black Copper Marans rooster crossed with a Barred Rock hen. They are also supposed to be color sexable at hatch. Mine are about 5 weeks old now and I'm not entirely convinced they are what they were claimed to be. One is starting to look suspiciously like a cockerel even though coloring should make them both pullets. Waiting to see how things develop.

I am wondering the same thing. I have two of the Dominant Coppers from Jenks and the descriptions are extremely similar. The Dominant Coppers are supposed to be from a Black Copper Marans rooster crossed with a Barred Rock hen. They are also supposed to be color sexable at hatch. Mine are about 5 weeks old now and I'm not entirely convinced they are what they were claimed to be. One is starting to look suspiciously like a cockerel even though coloring should make them both pullets. Waiting to see how things develop.
:pop:pop:pop

That mix is guaranteed sexable. Genetics can’t be altered. Solid male over barred female = solid pullets and barred cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom