Midnight majesty marans

That mix is guaranteed sexable. Genetics can’t be altered. Solid male over barred female = solid pullets and barred cockerels.

That I understand, thank you. What I'm unsure of is if they actually sold me Dominant Coppers or if I accidentally got something else instead. I'm hoping I got what I paid for, because then I have two pullets and I really wanted the dark brown eggs. However, one looks more and more like a cockerel every day (much larger comb and wattles), which has me wondering about a mix up. At this point, not much I can do but wait for them to get a bit older and see how they turn out. If I did get something else, then at least I have an excuse to buy some Black Copper Marans chicks next spring. ;)

That I understand, thank you. What I'm unsure of is if they actually sold me Dominant Coppers or if I accidentally got something else instead. I'm hoping I got what I paid for, because then I have two pullets and I really wanted the dark brown eggs. However, one looks more and more like a cockerel every day (much larger comb and wattles), which has me wondering about a mix up. At this point, not much I can do but wait for them to get a bit older and see how they turn out. If I did get something else, then at least I have an excuse to buy some Black Copper Marans chicks next spring. ;)
Chicken math! Chances are they won’t lay the dark brown you would associate with BCM. It’s hard enough to keep the dark color on full BCM- it lightens with generations. Selective breeding keeps the egg color dark.

Chicken math! Chances are they won’t lay the dark brown you would associate with BCM. It’s hard enough to keep the dark color on full BCM- it lightens with generations. Selective breeding keeps the egg color dark.

That's disappointing. They were suggested to me specifically because they are supposed to lay "large copper-to-dark chocolate-colored eggs."

Here are a few of my Midnight Majestic Marans at 10 and a half weeks. I have 9 total. I really love these birds. They are so sweet and friendly. Very smart and I can tell they will be much bigger than my Americanas. Definitely at the top of the pecking order. One loves to talk and chirp to you, we named her Squeak. Heard another one crowing softly one morning, but it still looks very much like a pullet.

Attachments

• 51A8909F-B290-4321-B60E-5FC4C63FCD8C.jpeg
    51A8909F-B290-4321-B60E-5FC4C63FCD8C.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 322
  • 78F9A207-E656-4580-B0BF-ADEF2779C2D9.jpeg
    78F9A207-E656-4580-B0BF-ADEF2779C2D9.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 3A53F2FD-0A14-4614-936F-231BAAACD6B8.jpeg
    3A53F2FD-0A14-4614-936F-231BAAACD6B8.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 327
Here are a few of my Midnight Majestic Marans at 10 and a half weeks. I have 9 total. I really love these birds. They are so sweet and friendly. Very smart and I can tell they will be much bigger than my Americanas. Definitely at the top of the pecking order. One loves to talk and chirp to you, we named her Squeak. Heard another one crowing softly one morning, but it still looks very much like a pullet.

How exciting to have those lovely girls.

I really am interested in the color of their eggs. So will be great when they get laying and we can get a report on that.

So I have 2 of these. One started to grow a larger comb than the other right around 4 weeks old. I’ve been holding my breath but it hasn’t shown color so I think I’m safe that they’ll still both be pullets. They’re about 6/7 weeks old now. But now I’ve noticed that the other one appears to have ear tufts -!? I have Ameraucanas so I’m wondering, but I have no idea why this type of hybrid Marans would carry that. Anyone else have a MMM pullet with ear tufts?

I bought one MMM along with the mix of chicks. They are approaching a month old. The MMM is the most friendly, and very bold. Fast growing. The Prairie Bluebell Egger I got is the smallest, timid but seems healthy now.

Back
Top Bottom