Midnight majesty marans

Pics
Oh, I hate to see she will turn all black. The white on her wing tips is so pretty now. She is about 3 weeks old. She's in the largest size plastic storage bin and has been able to roost on the top edge for a few days.

I just wanted to comment that not all of them will be solid black. If I'm not mistaken, some of them have brown and possibly white mixed in the black feathering. Just in case though, the black isn't just a typical boring black, it's a gorgeous iridescent black that changes as the light moves. They're beautiful! Of course I am biased though, as my Mally is solid black, even down to her toes, with the exception of her comb and wattles. Best wishes with your flock :love

Last edited:
I just wanted to comment that not all of them will be solid black. If I'm not mistaken, some of them have brown and possibly white mixed in the black feathering. Just in case though, the black isn't just a typical boring black, it's a gorgeous iridescent black that changes as the light moves. They're beautiful! Of course I am biased though. Best wishes with your flock :love
Yes the shines are gorgeous 😍 I haven't really been able to capture their true beauty on camera but I have with my eyes!

Here's one of my girls I have 4 of them and should start laying in a couple months! I'm excited to see what color eggs these 4 ladies will lay

Do your MMM have clean or feathered feet/legs? It seems like the clean feet/legs aren't quite as common as the feathered, but definitely not a rarity. I have other chickens with clean legs/feet, but Mally has always had the cleanest and softest feet of all 27 of my chickens. So strange.

Do your MMM have clean or feathered feet/legs? It seems like the clean feet/legs aren't quite as common as the feathered, but definitely not a rarity. I have other chickens with clean legs/feet, but Mally has always had the cleanest and softest feet of all 27 of my chickens. So strange.
I have 4. 1 is completely clean legged. Rest have either little or a good amount of them.

Thank you for your comments. Initially, I wanted her because I wanted dark brown eggs. But when I read the description, I was thrilled to see they would be beautiful also. And your descriptions make me even more excited. I understand about their feathers being iridescent which don't show up in photographs. I had an Asian Black who had beautiful black iridescent feathers. I purchased 8 different kinds this Spring so its going to be fun watching them change as they grow up.

Here's one of my girls I captured the other day. She's beautiful! Her sister has more of a purple shine while she has more of a greenish hue.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_132147_048.jpg
    IMG_20200412_132147_048.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 39
Everyone’s birds are lovely! :love

I’m getting chicks in a few weeks and they have black sex marans on the schedule. The chicks will be a couple days old.

I’m partial to chickens with clean legs.

Could I tell at a couple days old if they will grow up to have completely clean legs? At what point could you guys tell about the feathering on their legs? Did any of them grow light feathers later on?

Everyone’s birds are lovely! :love

I’m getting chicks in a few weeks and they have black sex marans on the schedule. The chicks will be a couple days old.

I’m partial to chickens with clean legs.

Could I tell at a couple days old if they will grow up to have completely clean legs? At what point could you guys tell about the feathering on their legs? Did any of them grow light feathers later on?
The feathered legged ones will have down on the side of their legs.

Back
Top Bottom