Midnight majesty marans

Pics
Thank you. She's the only Marans in my flock and the only one who has gone broody 3 times. She's quite a character and very fluffy.

My four month old mmm egg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-235728.png
    Screenshot_20210226-235728.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
Hi there. :frow

They are a brand new *breed* (cross breed or variety may be more accurate) being produced by ONLY one of the hatcheries this year. Hybrid basically mean they will not breed true. They are supposed to produce a larger number of the darker Marans colored eggs than most Marans bred to the standard of perfection. And they are being offered at a very affordable price compared to the French black copper or other American Poultry Association accepted colors... which this one likely is not, may effect if you plan to show but otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

This is my understanding anyways. I hadn't read they were sex linked. :pop

Look like lovely birds! :love

ETA: I think they are also supposed to be a bit lighter on the feed bill.
I was told mine is half Cuckoo half Copper which makes it a sexlinked bird. Easily sexed at hatch. So far she has been my only broody hen but so beautiful. Shes all black with two small feathers on one shank.

I bought some straight from the hatchery. I sold one and 4 died. Of the 5 I have left (all supposed to be female) 2 have alot of brown feathering and 2 are solid black with white tips on their wings and one is solid black with no feathers on feet. They are about 6 weeks old.
The pullets I got from tractor supply have gotten white tips as well... 😬 Hope they're not roosters

Back
Top Bottom