Might be getting a duckling! Need advice!!

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
Hello all,
I’m planning on going to TSC to get some baby chicks and possibly a duckling or two. I know that I will have to clean the brooder often and that the water dish should be where they can dip their bills in but what else about ducks should I know?
Thank you!

If possible I’d suggest that you get Purina FlockRaiser for the ducklings to eat. Your chicks can eat it too, but it is unmedicated. If you use a medicated feed, you’ll probably need to Niacin supplement.

If possible I’d suggest that you get Purina FlockRaiser for the ducklings to eat. Your chicks can eat it too, but it is unmedicated. If you use a medicated feed, you’ll probably need to Niacin supplement.
Thank you! Would it be best to set up two brooders? (One for chicks and one for ducklings)

Thank you! Would it be best to set up two brooders? (One for chicks and one for ducklings)

I personally would separate the brooders. Ducks grow much faster, and are wet messy. The combination of prolific chick poo with duck wet mess would be incredibly stinky.

I have brooded goslings and ducklings together though.

If you get a jumbo screened rabbit litter box like this (not endorsing site, I haven't actually used chewy, just those particular boxes from amazon or drs. foster and smith)

https://www.chewy.com/ware-scatterless-lock-n-litter-small/dp/128633

and put the waterer and maybe feeder on it once their feet are big enough to not go through the grid you can save yourself hours worth of work by avoiding giving them clean bedding twice a day and instead just empty and rinse the sluice pit of duck slime daily. The sluice pit doesn't get everywhere and stink up the house that way.

I would definitely separate chickens and ducks and get at least two ducks to circumvent future problems.

Back
Top Bottom