MIGRAINES - update pg 9

Maxalt works wonders for my mom and I! They have the sub lingual one that dissolves, and as soon as its dissolved my migraines become more bearable and over a period of time its totally gone!
big_smile.png

I'm doing a little research on Maxalt...

Rizatriptan benzoate is a selective 5-hydroxytryptamine1B/1D (5-HT1B/1D) receptor agonist.

It sounds like it might be quite a bit like the Imitrex type drugs:

"Do not use Maxalt if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the past 14 days. Do not use Maxalt within 24 hours after taking almotriptan (Axert), eletriptan (Relpax), frovatriptan (Frova), sumatriptan (Imitrex), naratriptan (Amerge), zolmitriptan (Zomig), or ergot medicine such as methysergide (Sansert), ergotamine (Ergomar, Ergostat, Cafergot, Ercaf, Wigraine), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal Nasal Spray), ergonovine (Ergotrate), methylergonovine (Methergine). Before taking Maxalt, tell your doctor if you are also taking an antidepressant such as citalopram (Celexa), duloxetine (Cymbalta), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), or venlafaxine (Effexor)."

My husband and kids get migraines. We realized the cause of them was artificial scents:
air fresheners
scented laundry products
scented personal products
candles

My husband went from 3 a week to once a month and usually because he was in a smelly store.

I know this won't help yours right now but I wanted to point out there are migraine triggers other than food.

My husband and kids get migraines. We realized the cause of them was artificial scents:
air fresheners
scented laundry products
scented personal products
candles
My husband went from 3 a week to once a month and usually because he was in a smelly store.
I know this won't help yours right now but I wanted to point out there are migraine triggers other than food.

You are so right about smell being a trigger!

I am extremely sensitive to all kinds of smells. Last time I was in the tire store I almost vomited on the counter. If a building has a single mold spore, I'll know it. I always know when my immune system is about to crash because EVERYTHING smells different and kind of funny-rotten.

And it's not just smells from man-made chemicals that can cause migraine/sickness! For example... drying Rosemary and Thyme in the house made me sooo, sooo sick.

The neighbor puts perfume in her dryer, which vents right at my house. I have to spend that day inside w/ doors-windows closed.

I grabbed some smelly liquid fabric softener in August cause I was tired and couldn't find what I needed, and my immune system went even more haywire than usual.

The smell of some lipsticks and other makeup can make me really sick - that's why I always buy at Rite Aid. They have a policy that you can take back any makeup for any reason.

Smells can be sneaky -- you have to examine everything in your environment. The only cleaners we use in our house are bleach (in a closed toilet), and GSE. We have to run the dishwasher at night with an exhaust fan going because the chemicals in the dish-washing liquid give me a migraine and make my feet hurt so bad I can't walk.

I think this sort of thing is also hereditary. The only other person I've known who was as sensitive to the slightest smells was my mother.

YESTERDAY my bid to get rid of that migraine worked!

I ended up with 4 Excedrin Headache and 2 Aspirin with 3 shots of coffee.

About 1/2 hour after I took that 4th Excedrin Headache pill, the pain simply STOPPED - one second it was there, the next second it was gone. I've been suffering with just 2 Excedrin Migraines pills for years! It never occurred to me to take more than that, or to add Aspirin!

Of course the side-effect was a very floaty, slightly dizzy, nervous feeling, but I'd have to say that's better than the pain of a migraine!

So..... next time I get a migraine I'm going to try 4 EH+2 Aspirin+Coffee!
thumbsup.gif
I'll let you know if it keeps working.

Thanks you guys for your help and advice!
smile.png

Last edited:
I started getting migraines as a child (my mom says I was BORN with a head ache) and suffered with them my WHOLE LIFE. Took prescriptions of many kinds, and while they offered relief, the migraines continued. Someone gave me a copy of the "headache free diet" which I promptly filed away. I would have bet my LIFE that food was not the culprit . . . but it was!!!

Do some research on-line to find the most common triggers. Don't panic at the long list - not every person is sensitive to every trigger. I can eat chocolate by the pound but can't get NEAR bacon or a hot dog without getting a migraine.

I've been headache free for many years now. It made a believer out of me. What have you got to lose, besides headaches???

P.S. For fastest relief, avoid all triggers for a short time and if it works, start adding them back in SLOWLY until you find the culprits!

Last edited:
I can eat chocolate by the pound but can't get NEAR bacon or a hot dog without getting a migraine.

Ha ha... me too!

There was bacon in the pan on the stove - cooked nice and brown the way I like it. I just grabbed a tiny piece. Then a little later another tiny piece....

I told myself, 'it's just a tiny piece, that's not enough to make me sick'. I guess in the end I had about 2.5 pieces, which IS enough. sheesh.
roll.png

Don't get me started! ... hot dogs, lunch meat, Christmas ham, and especially those commercial Thanksgiving turkeys they shoot full of nitrites!
barnie.gif

Oh... and when I have a migraine I WANT to vomit! That is usually how it ends.​

Last edited:
Smells can do it for me too, but I think it is more of an allergy. The perfume department of a store a Christmas time is just awful, I end up feeling horrible in a very short amount of time. Lights and sound can be a trigger for me. The local Gattiland has an arcade that is loud, dark and full of flashing bright lights. On a good day I can stay awhile and have fun with my kids; a bad day will turn a little headache into a raging migrane.

I totally forgot about noises. Yes indeed, they can be the culprit!

electronic toy music and beeping alarm clock can also give me small seizures if they go on long enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom