Mild respiratory infection (not MG)

PeepingK

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
Hey everyone!

A few weeks ago my flock got infected with some sort of mild respiratory infection. All my younger birds caught it first and showed mild signs (coughing/sneezing, lethargic, puffed up) that cleared up in about 3-5 days. Some of my older girls and roosters (about 1 1/2 years old) barely showed any signs if at all.
I got them tested for MG because I thought for sure that was what they had, but it came back negative.
Their symptoms didn’t really match those of bronchitis or laryngotracheitis or new castle, so I’m not sure what they had.
Does anyone know what kind of respiratory infection it could have been?

Thanks! 😊

I would worm them if havent already ,always perks pooly birds up.heywards with medication in.fluxi not vermix,for a whole week full bag

Perhaps it was something environmental, for example; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, improper ventilation, dust from dust bathing, pollen, pesticide use etc...
Yeah I though that too but it spread to my other 2 separate coops as well. From those coops only the ones under 1 showed any major coughing or sneezing and all the other older girls showed either very mild or not symptoms at all. It’s definitely something contagious but I don’t know what it could be… maybe I should have tested for MS as well.
They just recovered so quickly so I didn’t think it was anything serious?

Yeah I though that too but it spread to my other 2 separate coops as well. From those coops only the ones under 1 showed any major coughing or sneezing and all the other older girls showed either very mild or not symptoms at all. It’s definitely something contagious but I don’t know what it could be… maybe I should have tested for MS as well.
They just recovered so quickly so I didn’t think it was anything serious?
No, not MS. Possibly a mild case of Infectious Bronchitis (IB). It's the only respiratory disease that I know of that can pass through a flock quickly.

Just because the testing was negative, doesn’t mean it is not MG. There can be false negatives. I think infectious bronchitis can be hard to test for. It is most likely a virus or MG. If there is swelling of the eyelids or face, or eye bubbles, it is most likely MG. If sneezing and mild congestion is the main symptom, it is probably viral, which is milder. That can disappear eventually without having to consider your whole flock as carriers. The survivors can spread IB virus for 5 months to a year after they recover. Did you ever see any wrinkled egg shells? What are all of the symptoms you have seen in your birds?

Back
Top Bottom