Mille Cochin Info

ki4got

Well I have 4 pure bred millie fleurs d'uccle's (2 red hens, 1 roo & 1 black mottled mix red hen)
10 millie cochins (parents are millie cochins)
and 17 new born chicks which the dads are either a millie cochin or the pure bred millie d'uccle roo. But all the mommas are my millie cochin hens.

I just call them calicos but the breeder who I orgionally got the millie cochins says they are just that, millie cochins.

What makes the differnce? Maybe Im calling them all wrong :)

I have a website...
silver maple miniatures to view pics.
(((hope its ok to add my website here)))

REGARDLESS I LOVE BANTAM COCHINS!!! :)

ki4got Well I have 4 pure bred millie fleurs d'uccle's (2 red hens, 1 roo & 1 black mottled mix red hen) 10 millie cochins (parents are millie cochins) and 17 new born chicks which the dads are either a millie cochin or the pure bred millie d'uccle roo. But all the mommas are my millie cochin hens. I just call them calicos but the breeder who I orgionally got the millie cochins says they are just that, millie cochins. What makes the differnce? Maybe Im calling them all wrong :) I have a website... silver maple miniatures to view pics. (((hope its ok to add my website here))) REGARDLESS I LOVE BANTAM COCHINS!!! :)
actually, very few serious breeders (if any) crossed cochins with mille fleur d'uccles. all the mutations required to produce the variety are already found in cochins.(columbian & mottled), so that's what most breeders have been using to work on the lines.

crossing d'uccle introduces too many problems, like fuzzy faces/beards, vulture hocks, long legs and wrong posture overall... it would take years to breed those faults out, while maybe 2-3 generations of pure cochin crossing to see results if you had to start from scratch.

go back and look at some of westknollamy's pics. IMO she's got some of the best typed/colored ones i've seen. well, i think mine are pretty good too, but i may be a bit biased. LOL

here's my best marked hen... (and understand, she's better now than she was then... the pic was taken at about 4 months old, she's almost about 8 months old now).

vs a pic pulled off the web
Millefleur-Belgian-Barbu-d-Uccle.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info it defently helps. Im no pro breeder, just for fun for my own stock and a few friends. I do sell eggs to the locals as everyone just loves how pretty my birds are. And Im pretty proud of them :) I know at the local shows, my brids have won with kids but I didnt see the shows, just what a "buyer" told me as his kids did great. Your lil girl is cute! I have to say I must just be saying the type of cochins I have wrong. They look a lot like yours and did buy my oldest breeding millie cochins from a breeder. She's not far from me and just love her stock. So after getting to know her, I got some from her. Im way happy with them.
But yep, I currently own 58 birds with 6 pure white cochin chicks on order. Cant wait till they get here and have my fingers crossed at least 3 are pullets!

Thanks again!

would it be a score? If so, I'm in! I love to score!

Ropo, we missed you this weekend. Can't believe you're so far away now. Boo.
I know!!! I was heartbroken I didn't get to go with you guys! It's ok, we will all have to meet in Ohio or something!!!

I think it would be a score! You'd have recessive white and have another variety to work with! :D

Or, it could be an undermarked bird, no real idea! My Millies are laying now and I REALLY want to hatch from them. I think one or two of them are going broody already...so that's a blast! ;)

i don't but had a friend last year that had a mink, which is almost the same, he said he put a live chicken in front of a wire trap, he said they don't like a dead chicken, hope you get it.
Ok, it keeps coming back and wiped out my entire grow out pen including my little man Henry. There was a bunch of headless chicks in a neat pile. Not sure why it piled them up. There was on survivor that got stuck under wire trying to get free. I think his chances of surviving are very slim. He still got cut up pretty bad under the wire. I have a lot of traps and I'm hoping it will come back searching for the little chick. If it enters the grow out again it isn.y going to get out alive. My only hope is that it doesn't skip on over into the LF Cochin pen on the other side of the grow out.

Back
Top Bottom