Mille Cochin Info

Pics
oohh you are ssoo fired....
i want some ssoo bad.....
especially some from candy.. i'm partial to the mostly white ones too....
i can't wait till spring when i can really start thinking about getting some eggs

opinions.....

is it better to work on trying to get a trio from one breeder? or should i plan on getting eggs from a few different people and hatch them to see what i get then pick out my sets??

Quote:
Depends on how anxious you are!
lol.png

I am almost sure I have one roo and two hens from the 08/21 hatch. The dark one is without a doubt a roo and the two lighter ones I am thinking hens. The comb on the dark chick is now twice as big as the one on the lighter two. The comb is even with their feathers hasn't really grown at all stays the same in proportion to their body. The dark chick on the other hand has a very pronounced comb and it is turning red now. He is looking quite handsome. I will post pictures when my husband comes home with the camera. I hope I am right and if I am I will be over the moon excited. I really hope the Mille Cochin roos are friendly and tame compared to the Yellow Japanese we have right now (if he got close enough to me after beating up my little hens I would have stepped on him).

usschicago1, I am in the western part of the state by Vermont. You are about 2 1/2 hours from me
smile.png

I am excited that my girls are looking good! So should I have the rooster back for a visit in the spring or should I try and get a different man? Some of the roos on here are so stunning! What should I look for in a new guy? If someone can point me in the right direction that would be super.

These questions are born of idleness... just a thought kicking around in my head that I'm sure someone has already asked... LOL

I've read on this thread that the MFC bantam came from breeding bantam buff columbian cochins to mottled cochins. So my question is this... I've never seen a LF buff columbian cochin... does this animal actually exist? If so, have any of you seen it, or know who may have eggs for sale?

Why yes, I AM thinking about possibly trying to start a LF MFC. But if I can't find the foundation stock easily, I won't do it... I unfortunately am unable to buy live birds unless I pick them up, so I'll have to do the work of hatching eggs and raising them anyway. If I have to spend an arm and a leg to acquire the eggs, it would put a definite damper on things.

i would like to see it developed in LF too... but i have a feeling it's going to take a while since i haven't been able to find the cochin base, i'm assuming we're going to have to start with mutts and breed the mixes back out??

don't get me wrong, i LOVE the banty guys, but i'm a little more particular to LF... if i can get them this cute....

Quote:
I know... I've talked about it too (I'm Kae). However, she was talking about want LF MFC eggs, I don't recall her saying that she might want to breed her own out.

I've also been looking for LF birds to start a project with, but have so far been unsuccessful. Please share what you find and I'll do the same.

Quote:
I have some huge buff columbians I've been working on. I ended up with a decent looking pair that I was going to sell--but the person flaked out so I have decided I was meant to keep them...at least for now.
wink.png
I crossed my golden laceds with my lemon blues. I ended up with buff colored birds with semi-columbian patterning. The cockerel is buff with black marks and the hen is nearly all buff colored with some spots around her neck and her tail coloring is coming in BLUE. Weirdness...

DSCN3654.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

DSCN3657.jpg

DSCN3656.jpg

Back
Top Bottom