Mille Fleur Leghorn Thread PIC HEAVY

I would take them just the way they are and hope for a yard full of babies soon!
love.gif

New additions to the flock!!

Hi, I have a question about this breed. I have 4 chicks that were hatched from Cheryl's eggs on Apriln 9th, so they are 3 weeks old. They were all very light yellow when I got them, but they have started to differentiate. One is quite a bit darker, while the other 3 are still very light. I have never hatched any breed that was even close to this color (mostly blacks, blues, cuckoos), so I wasn't sure if this is just genetic variability, or if I am starting to see sex linked color characteristics (for example, I have heard that Salmon Fav roosters become quite obvious by 4 weeks due to the darker coloring they develop).

Any input is appreciated. I'm excited to have them, and will obviously see what they develop into over time anyway.

Thanks,
Tracy

Hi, I have a question about this breed. I have 4 chicks that were hatched from Cheryl's eggs on Apriln 9th, so they are 3 weeks old. They were all very light yellow when I got them, but they have started to differentiate. One is quite a bit darker, while the other 3 are still very light. I have never hatched any breed that was even close to this color (mostly blacks, blues, cuckoos), so I wasn't sure if this is just genetic variability, or if I am starting to see sex linked color characteristics (for example, I have heard that Salmon Fav roosters become quite obvious by 4 weeks due to the darker coloring they develop).

Any input is appreciated. I'm excited to have them, and will obviously see what they develop into over time anyway.

Thanks,
Tracy
There is so little information about this breed and only speculation as to exactly what was used to create them. My experience with coloring is that most hatch the typical warm yellow color. Females are feathering in with ginger colors like the new girl above or shades of deeper mahogony. At this stage in the breed regeneration I'm not culling for color but only for type. Build the barn...then paint it right? :) Also as there is not a breed standard for this variety it will be up to me and a handful of others to determine which color direction we want to take.

Back
Top Bottom