Millions Against Monsanto Campaign-Updated - FDA bands non-GMO labels

I am trying to catch up on reading, but weekends are my busiest times... so I'm keeping all my comments to myself until I'm caught up on both sides. Even though from a lot of what I've read every article is either for or against... but I don't see any real evidence that swings either way. Its also ready hard when all the titles of the information straight up tell you they are for or against GMO before you read their information. Then their information comes across as only opinion. I have opinions of my own, but I want some real fact and I see so few so far.

Will be back when I'm done reading, and I think I will do some more searching to see if I can find any real 'investigative' research.

Quote:
You can check the PLU on produce at the supermarket. PLU for GMO produce is 5-digit; the first number will be an 8. Organic produce also has a 5-digit PLU; the first number is a 9. Produce should also have a country of origin named on the PLU sticker.

Here you go chickenvirgin.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nreni...c_Farming_Canola-Production_and_Marketing.pdf

And this taken from the Jefferson Ag Institute.

"Organic Production

Canola, a vigorous winter annual, can be grown by organic methods. Effective weed control with cover crops or tillage prior to planting can eliminate the need for herbicides. Insect control is not normally needed, but pyrethrums or other organic insecticides can be used. Nitrogen for fall growth of canola can be supplied from a cover crop or preceding legume such as soybeans. Perhaps the greatest challenge is getting adequate nitrogen for spring growth. A manure application or other supplemental organic nitrogen may be needed in the spring, but care should be taken to avoid injury to the canola vegetation. Markets for organic canola exist, but distance to a certified organic crusher could lead to costly transportation."
http://www.jeffersoninstitute.org/pubs/canola.shtml

I will admit I have never to my knowledge seen a canola field, and never 1500 acres of anything. It is rare to have farmers own that much land here, I wonder if there are any.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Hey gang.. Count me in on the anti Monsanto club...
big_smile.png

ON

It took weeks, but Kohl has FINALLY replied!

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the presence of genetically engineered foods in the United States. I always enjoy hearing from constituents and welcome the opportunity to address your concerns.

As you know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not currently require food products that contain genetically engineered or modified material to be labeled as such. During the 110th Congress I introduced a bill to reinforce the prohibition on labeling any cloned food products as "organic." I believe it is important to protect the integrity of the organic label and consumers who have come to rely on it. I have supported a range of measures to bolster research for organic agriculture, to support farmers as they transition to organic production, and to protect organic standards.

On June 23, 2010, Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) introduced H.R. 5577, the Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act; Federal Meat Inspection Act; and the Poulty Products Inspection Act to require that food containing genetically engineered material or produced with genetically engineered material should be labeled as such. Food served in restaurants or prepared primarily in retail establishments would be excluded from this legislation. H.R. 5577 is currently being considered by the House Agriculture Committee, of which I am not a member. Should this legislation come before the Senate, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Herb Kohl
United States Senator

Yard full o' rocks :

Unfortunately, I believe that the real "issue" here is much deeper than just Genetically Engineered foodstuffs and the labeling thereof.

From the tone of all of the letters you have received back, the basic premise would be somewhat patronizing in my opinion. In our system, politicians are allowed to make "careers" out of public office. Until we (as a nation of constituents) stand up and DEMAND term limits, issues such as these will continue. There will ALWAYS be a BIG BUSINESS, lobbyist organization, etc who will line the pockets of the elected officials and therefore the elected officials will NEVER vote for what is best for their constituency, but rather for those things that continue to get them re-elected and/or put funds into their "war chest" for re-election

One only has to look at other current issues to see this being played out right before our eyes:
- healthcare
- illegal immigration
- government "bailouts"
- social security
- the debt we are passing on to the next generation
- and the list goes on

If a president can only preside for 2 terms, then why should senators and congressmen be allowed to make life-long careers of legislating OUR LIVES??!!

I think we need to stand up and be heard, but I believe that the true issue here is a HUGE mountain that will take a lot of effort to climb

I pray we can find a solution to this in my lifetime....if not, I truly fear the country which my children inherit

Soooooooo well said.​

Quote:
I am missing where he is siding? He obviously pointed out he was educated on the whole bill and he has his place on organics... but he sounds concerned with things that shouldn't matter.... like overriding so many acts already. Maybe those acts needed to be over turned in this day and age?

Anyways... I just want to know where these Senator's stand... and they speak in circles... when they even bother to respond.
sad.png

Quote:
babylady4,
How do you read this?
I think Senator Feingold takes a little more of a "bold" stand. Kohl, is not bad but such a "politician" speaking in circles...
hmm.png

ON

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom