Mini Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by minigoose, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    How did I miss this??? I think I thought it was the old thread.

Gorgeous! I can;t wait to see more of them. Congrats [​IMG]

2. minigoose

minigoose New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
    When I get to high speed Internet where I can download photos I will be happy to.

3. minigoose

minigoose New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
  4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oooh you've got one of the Mardarins too! That is a great flock. I am dying to see how big the eggs & goslings are from the minis.

5. Chickety Charcoal

Chickety Charcoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Westchester County, NY
    Minigeese?! Now you've got me thinking if I can raise them in my small yard. Is there some info online I can find on their living requirements? Is there anything different you do with them as opposed to full sized geese?

6. ket806

ket806 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2012
    HellO I don't have geese but I think I may want a few! These minis sound awesome! How do y'all like your geese?

7. Treebird

Treebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Iowa
    Are the Shetland and the Oregon Mini geese the same?

8. Jen C

Jen C Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Oak Run, CA
    No they are two different breeds. The Mini geese are smaller.

9. Treebird

Treebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Iowa
    Oh, OK Thanks. I was looking at getting some Shetlands but heard they were pretty inbred in the US and that they can have fertility issues.

10. JerryK

JerryK New Egg

Aug 12, 2009
    Weatherford
    Hi all,
    I have had both Shetland and now Mini's. The Mini's are very quiet and look smaller, they are built different from the Shetlands. The Shetlands have a more round chubby shape and they cannot fly very well ( actually they never tried to get off the ground ) and are much more talkative. The Mini's are more streamlined not so deep bodied and can fly very well. My blue gander can take off from a stand still, does not need a long run. I guess my grey gander was a better flyer because he came to me with one clipped wing. I love that they can fly well. My blue Mini female is a different body type more like domestic geese and she can not get her cute little body off the ground without a good run and then does not fly so well. As you can see from the photos with the Cacklers they are not tiny but smaller that standard domestic geese. Mine are in covered pins about 35 ft. X 35 ft. so flying is not a problem. The bobcats in the area ate my Shetlands because they were not in pins. Now all my birds are in covered enclosure. I just could not kill the Bobcat it is so beautiful and was just doing its job, finding food.

So if flying is an issue they will need to have their wings clipped. They do not need the entire wing clipped just about a third to half the length of the flights on one side.

I do not know about the fertility of Shetlands, mine seemed normal, whatever normal means.
    I love my birds, such fun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by