Mini Pin & Chihuahua experts - WHAT DO I HAVE? PLEASE HELP!

If she's not a mix of one or both, then she's a poorly bred of whichever she is (according to breed standard anyway). I do see min pin in the body and muzzle, but her eyes look very very chihuahua to me. I'd guess probably a cross of the two breeds, but if I had to pick one or the other I'm leaning more towards chihuahua. If you're really curious, there are breed analysis tests out there that could probably help. Min Pins and chihuahuas look similar, but are genetically different enough that a DNA test should be able to tell them apart easily enough. If you're not that curious, then call her whatever you like and love her for the wonderful little soul that she is.

If she's not a mix of one or both, then she's a poorly bred of whichever she is (according to breed standard anyway). I do see min pin in the body and muzzle, but her eyes look very very chihuahua to me. I'd guess probably a cross of the two breeds, but if I had to pick one or the other I'm leaning more towards chihuahua. If you're really curious, there are breed analysis tests out there that could probably help. Min Pins and chihuahuas look similar, but are genetically different enough that a DNA test should be able to tell them apart easily enough. If you're not that curious, then call her whatever you like and love her for the wonderful little soul that she is.

probably a mix, white on her toes is not a minpin trait. she resembles a minpin but pet Chi's are usually leggier and bigger than those bred to the standard. sounds like a nice dog, keep her!
as for the DNA tests, they are unreliable, lots have sent in tests for them and came back not even closely related to what the dog was. boxers as chow/jack russell mixes for example. wouldnt waste the money.

From looking at her I would say min pin, usually the chi mixes I have seen end up with huge ears and often they are quite bow legged. Our Alley the Poo-huahua as a good example.
What is her personality like? Chi's tend to be more timid and less of a barker then min pins, min pins always act like they can take on the world, while chi's usually pick one person to sit on and then protect that lap with everything they have. Just an observation from many years of grooming dogs I have made, but every dog is different. Whatever she may be, she is very cute, I wouldn't worry so much about the breed as long as she is happy and healthy
smile.png

Last edited:
From looking at her I would say min pin, usually the chi mixes I have seen end up with huge ears and often they are quite bow legged. Our Alley the Poo-huahua as a good example.
What is her personality like? Chi's tend to be more timid and less of a barker then min pins, min pins always act like they can take on the world, while chi's usually pick one person to sit on and then protect that lap with everything they have. Just an observation from many years of grooming dogs I have made, but every dog is different. Whatever she may be, she is very cute, I wouldn't worry so much about the breed as long as she is happy and healthy
smile.png

Thank you! your little one is adorable!!
Princess is very bold! But she's also attached to me an DD.. She'll go after anyone who messes with me or my daughter! She has a HIGH predator/pray response... It took us forever to get her over the cats and she'll go after the chickens and the bunny if she's not locked up while their out... She hates being cold... Even if it's 70*F in the house you will find her butt up against the wood stove..

Last edited:
Hello!
Your doggie looks JUST like a dog i used to have. JUST like her....
She was a min pin/pappy mix..
I'll have my husband scan some pics of her in the next couple of days and post them here for you to see..
smile.png

Well that doesn't solve anything then, that's traits combined from both breeds lol
The hunter in her is more minpin, but the protective nature is more chi and the shivering I have seen in both breeds. Alley will shiver in mid summer with a sweater on. We were always against dressing up our pets until we got her, she won't go out in the winter if she isn't wearing her mini Carhart jacket that matches her daddys
lol.png

Well that doesn't solve anything then, that's traits combined from both breeds lol
The hunter in her is more minpin, but the protective nature is more chi and the shivering I have seen in both breeds. Alley will shiver in mid summer with a sweater on. We were always against dressing up our pets until we got her, she won't go out in the winter if she isn't wearing her mini Carhart jacket that matches her daddys
lol.png

LOL Thats exactly how it is here! I always thought people who bought their dogs jackets are retarded but then I got her an she REFUSED to go outside one night so I bought a little sweater for her and now she goes out an does her business an comes back in just fine! She will bust butt outside though durring the summer and REFUSE to come back in an just lay in the blasting sun in 90+*F heat! lol

Mine is supposedly a chi-pin. I think he IS 50/50 as they claim, but the two CAN almost be identical! He is stockier than min-pins, and I thought it was from too many treats until someone told me he has the chihuahua build (shorter and stockier).

Back
Top Bottom