Minimum Height for outdoor run???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rogersville, Nov 11, 2009.

1. rogersville

rogersville New Egg

Nov 11, 2009
    Hello all, I'm currently building a large tractor and an outdoor run that will attach to it. I would like to make the run just over 18" tall, so I can split my 3' hardware cloth in half and save money. It's going to be basically a square box. I realize 2' tall would be better, but can I get by with 18"? I plan to get red stars when everything is finnished their supposed to be 5-6lbs at maturity, but I've not been able to find how tall they get.

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    The chickens I am acquainted with can all fly about two feet up - plus lots of other things could jump in at that height. I would go higher.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think the OP meant that it would be a covered run so they wouldn't be able to fly over the top. Sorry, don't know if that height will work or not, but wanted to comment that my Red Star is the tallest of my MPC order of four chicks, but don't know if she is typical or atypical, since she's the only one I have.

4. rogersville

rogersville New Egg

Nov 11, 2009
    Yes, it will be covered

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    There won't be any problem with making the run 18" tall and saving money is always a good thing. Just realize you won't be able to stand up in it. [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't do 18" unless it was somehow really unavoidable. Normal sized chickens can't stretch up fully at that height ceiling, and even bantams won't be able to particularly hop/flap/fly. Even just an additional 6" (i.e. half a 4' roll of wire) would be a big improvement, although IMHO 2'6 (half a 5' roll) would be even better.

If you're making a short run like that, make sure you have access panels every so often so you can easily reach in to clean, chase chickens, retrieve eggs, etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by