Mink - how to stop the digging on a dirt floor

I saw your note, "Just because you caught it in a trap doesn't mean it was the killer of your chickens". I would agree, however... we saw the mink in the barn running around and going for our last surviving chicken. daughter screamed and the mink ran the other way and into the hole it dug... she grabbed the chicken and ran. we set a trap baiting with eggs, then we were able to catch it. same animal that was going for our last chicken. we witnessed it. and all of the chickens died the same way. Mink are blood sucking crazy animals - if you read about them they act fast and with the first taste of blood something triggers in their brain and they won't stop until everything is dead. maybe you know this already, i did not... untill i read about them after it killed almost all of our chickens.
Where are you located? I lived near water for 13 years in a forest...lots of creeks, ponds and rivers, and never had to deal with a mink or weasel. I live in Southern Indiana...and I know we have them here. Maybe we have something else they eat which keeps them from the chicken coop.

Where are you located? I lived near water for 13 years in a forest...lots of creeks, ponds and rivers, and never had to deal with a mink or weasel. I live in Southern Indiana...and I know we have them here. Maybe we have something else they eat which keeps them from the chicken coop.
I have never lost a bird to predators.. yet. .. fingers crossed

But I have found a mink head under the tree the owl uses. The cat and dog have killed weasels. Anything bigger than 1/2" they can get through.

Back
Top Bottom