Minnesota Swaps for 2011?

vpeterson

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2009
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Hi, Anyone have a list for the swaps in Minnesota for this spring and summer? I usually rely on the Brown County Poultry Club page , but I can't seem to locate it. They either have a new site or they no longer have a web page. I called Isanti Coop to see if they were having one this spring and they said that they are no longer having any. Does anyone have any information out there???

Hey Vicky,
Nobody has taken over the secretary position for the BCPPA yet. I think they are first having their election meeting after the March 20th swap. They tried to have 1 in december and again after the early february swap but not enough people showed up. With a new baby due any day now, I refused to take over the position again for this year. As far as I know the website domain expired in late February. I tried to show a couple people how to run it, but they never showed up and/or renewed it. Now they will have to rebuild the site from scratch again.

Alot of the smaller swaps shut down because the MN Board of Animal Health has really stepped up their enforcement of policies regarding bird sales. I know the BCPPA had to hire a veterinarian to be at each one of the swaps too, which is a huge expense for the club in addition to coliseum rental. Having people there at the gates to enforce all the paperwork requirements is also a real pain. Some of the old timers don't want to cooperate with the state and their testing requirements. The paperwork for any out of staters required is especially hard to enforce. I heard rumors last fall already about complete separation of waterfowl/landfowl too. Not sure if that passed.

Here's what I have on swap dates:

March 19th - Hutchinson MN - McLeod County Fairgrounds. MSPA Swap. Contact Paul Lepinski (320) 223-0415

March 19th - New Prague MN - Community Center - MN Pheasant & Waterfowl Society swap

March 19th - Jackson MN - Exotic Animal & Poultry Auction

March 20 - New Ulm MN - Brown County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 7 am and ends before noon. $3 admission 16 & over.

March 20 - Osceola IA - Exotic Animal & Poultry Auction

April 9 - New Ulm MN - Brown County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 7 am and ends before noon. $3 admission 16 & over.

April 10th - Waverly IA. Exotic Bird & Animal Swap. Bremer County Fairgrounds. Gates open at 6 am. $3 admission age 12 & over. Contact John Cheever (319) 984-5052. A licensed veterinarian and certified pullorum testor will be on site. All poultry, including waterfowl, should be tested within 90 days before swap.

May 7 - New Ulm MN - Brown County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 7 am and ends before noon. $3 admission 16 & over.

May 7th - Faribault MN - Rice County Fairgrounds. Swap will begin at 8am till done. All animals are welcome. All poultry must be tested, bring paper work. Testing will be available on site. Livestock equipment and supplies are also welcome. More information call 507-645-4318

June 11th - New Ulm MN - Brown County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 7 am and ends before noon. $3 admission 16 & over.

July 9th - New Ulm MN - Brown County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 7 am til noon. $3 admission 16 & over.

August 20st - New Ulm MN - Brown County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 7 am til noon. $3 admission 16 & over.

September 17th - Hutchinson MN - McLeod County Fairgrounds. MN Game Breeders Association Swap.

September 25th - Waverly IA. Exotic Bird & Animal Swap. Bremer County Fairgrounds. Gates open at 6 am. $3 admission age 12 & over. Contact John Cheever (319) 984-5052. A licensed veterinarian and certified pullorum testor will be on site. All poultry, including waterfowl, should be tested within 90 days before swap.

October 7-9th - New Ulm MN. BCPPA Fall Classic Poultry Show & Swap. 4-9pm on friday, all day saturday, awards & coop-out on sunday.

November 19th - New Ulm MN. BCPPA Fall Classic Pigeon Show & Swap. Birds can be brought in friday from 4-9pm. Doors open at 7 am saturday.

First of all, Amy, I can't believe you haven't had that baby yet. I thought for sure this week it would happen. Thanks for the dates. It looks like New Ulm is having one every month which is great. Is there a show in St. James or did I miss that?

Overdue by 3 days now and feeling a bit overcooked. Doctor is looking at inducing this next week if all else fails.

The St. James show was normally the middle or end of April and was hosted by the Watanwon County Poultry Patrol. I admit to being lax and letting my subscription to the Poultry Press run out.
hide.gif
They usually had ads in there in advance and sent entry forms to the ones who had exhibited before. Haven't gotten anything yet though.

The New Ulm swaps are pretty much all on saturdays this year. They only did the sunday one to avoid being on the same day as Hutch/New Prague/Jackson. They are trying the saturdays to see if they can't get more people. Runnings Fleet & Farm also has their huge farmer's markets those days so they might be able to get a few of those people to wander over too.

Glad I jumped on so I can see what's happening here in MN. Where can I get my MN NPIP testing done? I'm a FL transplant... THAT is still good but not for MN I'm sure. I also wanted to look into that course to become a NPIP tester, anyone have any link or information on that? I had it but have misplaced it. And if BCPPA needs any help in any way, I'm available if needed.
smile.png

You need to call the MPTL (320) 231-5170 for NPIP certification . There is a PT training course in Alexandria on April 13th and entries have to be in by the 8th. Here is a link to more info and the application: http://www.bah.state.mn.us/animals/poultry/files/poultry-course4-13-11.pdf

I
didn't make New Ulm this morning.... I just got out of the hospital friday night. Got a phone call at 7:20 am to hear that the gates hadn't been opened yet. Hmmmm.... I got on the phone with Aaron right away and he was just about there with a set of keys. One of our main guys that normally is there to open up was hospitalized with another heart attack. Please keep Al Christle in your prayers!!!!

I also got off the phone with Paul Lepinsky yesterday afternoon. He helped run the MSPA swap in Hutchinson. He said they had about 200 people show up and had a good turnout of birds. He also mentioned that the Board of Animal Health is stepping up enforcement on rules again. To host a swap, you now need written permission from the BAH. A veterinarian is going to have to be there pretty much through most of it now. In-state birds just need proper paperwork or can be PT tested if there is a testor present right then. Out of state birds have to be tested in advance though or show that they are from an NPIP flock. If they are over 4 months, they have to have a CVI (vet inspection). If they are younger than 4 months or hatching eggs, an import permit must be on file with the state too. Another new kicker is that for birds heading back across state lines.... they want a vet to fill out a health certificate at the swap so they can cross state lines back to wherever too. I don't know how they are going to enforce this. ????? Can't monitor every sale taking place and hard to prove that they are heading back to IA or something.

Quote:
Julie,
Just happened onto this thread, How is MN? It's been unusually hot here in sunny FLA.

Alieda (cmom)

Hi Alieda! All is fairly well in MN. Most of my birds made it through the winter, but sadly, some didn't. So I have some starting over to do in some areas. I sure do miss the warmth, sun and poultry action in FL. How are things with you down there? I hope you've had a wonderful time hatching and growing out the youngsters. Mine are just NOW starting to lay! Yikes am I far behind in that aspect. But I understand that they all probably felt like I dropped them into a freezer for the last 5 months, poor things, LOL.

I did make it to the testing course, what a great day yesterday was. Thanks again for the link Destiny.
smile.png
Happy to have my certification now. That's one relief!

Back
Top Bottom