Minnesota!

@KlopKlop

You need to learn to have the 2 fingers closer to the top of glass and not near the bottom. It lasts a lot longer that way.

I hope you dog will be alright. That injury sounds alot like what happened with mine, except within in a month she had a tumor the size of a softball on her shoulder.

I just got back from the cities picking up a puppy. Starting tomorrow life is going to be a lot more interesting.

hopefully she grows up to herd chickens like a champ and scare away the predators.
AWWW she is Beautiful....she already looks like she has champ qualities....

I am gearing up for Monday! The meatballs go in, or I can take them tomorrow night, but I don't feel very comfortable with that. There are 29. I have 10 that are sold though. After counting what I have in the freezer still, I decided I could let some of these ones go, and I had a couple of friends ask if I could spare a few. Of the remaining 19, I will be cutting up about 10-12 so we have parts and not be eating whole baked chicken every time and listening to my kids complain, "Chicken again?" (make sure you read that in a whiny teenager voice.) DS wants parts to use for cooking, so I think this will be a good idea.

I will appreciate having the pen back that the meatballs are in too. I need to get rid of a few birds and move the last few out of the brooder house so I can work on giving that a good cleaning and maybe paint the inside before the cold comes back.

I visited one of the gardens tonight to find all the rain we have had has rotten the cantalopes I had growing. Gross! There IS one more watermelon I hope is ripe enough to pick this week. Then I found that all those late planted squash are producing, which really excites me! There is an Amish squash that I am really looking forward to using for some pies or soups this fall. I don't get into that pumpkin spice everything and anything, but I do like things like pumpkin soup (hot and sour type, mmmmmm).
Looks like the peppers won't give me anything this year, which really makes me unhappy after all the work we put into them. The bugs decimated about 80% of them, and what is left aren't really doing much. With hubby home this week, I am hoping we can at least get the tomatoes canned. I grew some stuffing tomatoes for the first time, successfully, and we will be trying those this week, but not sure what I am putting in them yet, other than it will have to include bacon.

I am gearing up for Monday! The meatballs go in, or I can take them tomorrow night, but I don't feel very comfortable with that. There are 29. I have 10 that are sold though. After counting what I have in the freezer still, I decided I could let some of these ones go, and I had a couple of friends ask if I could spare a few. Of the remaining 19, I will be cutting up about 10-12 so we have parts and not be eating whole baked chicken every time and listening to my kids complain, "Chicken again?" (make sure you read that in a whiny teenager voice.) DS wants parts to use for cooking, so I think this will be a good idea.

I will appreciate having the pen back that the meatballs are in too. I need to get rid of a few birds and move the last few out of the brooder house so I can work on giving that a good cleaning and maybe paint the inside before the cold comes back.

I visited one of the gardens tonight to find all the rain we have had has rotten the cantalopes I had growing. Gross! There IS one more watermelon I hope is ripe enough to pick this week. Then I found that all those late planted squash are producing, which really excites me! There is an Amish squash that I am really looking forward to using for some pies or soups this fall. I don't get into that pumpkin spice everything and anything, but I do like things like pumpkin soup (hot and sour type, mmmmmm).
Looks like the peppers won't give me anything this year, which really makes me unhappy after all the work we put into them. The bugs decimated about 80% of them, and what is left aren't really doing much. With hubby home this week, I am hoping we can at least get the tomatoes canned. I grew some stuffing tomatoes for the first time, successfully, and we will be trying those this week, but not sure what I am putting in them yet, other than it will have to include bacon.

If you had just a dozen or so Guineas, you would have no bugs in you garden. Now if we only could think of someone willing to part with some guineas, or maybe trade something for them...Hmmmmm

i don't know what happened last night, but I woke up this morning to only 2 posts to read with morning coffee!

Yesterday worked on the woodshed with chickens hopping up all around. The saw and drill and pounding noises didnt phase them a bit, but let a couple of eagles way way way up in the sky chitter a bit, and they go running.

the chicken run is behind the shed, you can see the old mailbox on the wire fence of the run. Once my propane guy delivered propane and put the bill into the mailbox. As if it were a mailbox in use! I had to argue with the propane company about why I didn't pay the bill on time (since I never got the bill tied to the front doorknob like usual).

Here's a side view:

Only thing I had to buy were screws and drill bits.

Course I'm thinking.....hm...this could turn into a coop! its 6 feet plus x 4 feet...small but...doable for birds.

thanks for the info on quail. I told her I would take them, but don't know if it will happen. They are apparently bobwhite quail, these people live in burnsville and get some every spring. Then in the winter they just let them loose to fend on their own (read - die, wouldn't you think?). So I am hoping they follow through with the quail.

And apparently quail don't have the suicidal tendancies of guineas, either. Not sure about how they interact , or if they do, with chickens.

@duluthralphie

Tell me why they are good for my farm.
A male and female pair.

I need to apologize to you. So I am sorry. The whole question while important is not the right question.

Now as I have explained the guineas would be good for the farm, because of the pests they would control, wood ticks, grass hoppers. They would keep your cabbage free of pesticides and worms. They will pick bugs off the plants and not hurt the plants at ll.

These are the reasons they are good for the farm, but the bigger and more correct question is " Why are guineas good for me?"

Now the answer to this starts by me saying what is good for you IS good for the farm.

Guineas are the one bird that can make you a bigger better person. Here are just a few reasons why:

1) They can teach you patience.
2) Guineas will allow you to accept other points of view, they seldom go along just to get along
3) You will expand your vocabulary when dealing with Guineas, it will expand in ways other than condoned by BYC
4) They will make you listen, really listen, they do not allow one to ignore them
5) You will get exercise running with or after them, which is good for you heart
6) They will herd your other birds for you

I think these 6 reasons alone are worth your obtaining Guineas.

i don't know what happened last night, but I woke up this morning to only 2 posts to read with morning coffee!

Yesterday worked on the woodshed with chickens hopping up all around. The saw and drill and pounding noises didnt phase them a bit, but let a couple of eagles way way way up in the sky chitter a bit, and they go running.

the chicken run is behind the shed, you can see the old mailbox on the wire fence of the run. Once my propane guy delivered propane and put the bill into the mailbox. As if it were a mailbox in use! I had to argue with the propane company about why I didn't pay the bill on time (since I never got the bill tied to the front doorknob like usual).

Here's a side view:

Only thing I had to buy were screws and drill bits.

Course I'm thinking.....hm...this could turn into a coop! its 6 feet plus x 4 feet...small but...doable for birds.

You get redneck points for using old lumber! but the construction looks to sturdy to help much otherwise. Is it possible to add a few pallets into the building?.
lau.gif

German shorthair and Labrador. My friend has one -- just this winter they got him. He is a bundle of explosive energy. He is of course designed--with the shorthair in him -- for hunting hectares upon hectares of South Dakota pheasant land and is thoroughly spoiled and a dominant PITA on 2 acres.
Good luck with your little German chocolate cup cake. Swiss Miss. ;)

My yellow lab is losing her baby teeth. She is so nuts with that mouth right now. Last night I watched her saw through a 1 inch nylon leash, and destroy my son's trap shooting ear plugs. All fours up in the kitchen table sleeping when I got home and DH out on the couch supervising.

We worked on jumping up on people this week. I think we're getting it. She needs the rolled up magazine... This one here. ( it doesn't hurt and makes a loud noise)

Back
Top Bottom